Reload this Page >

How quick to get from Montego Bay to Negril

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Sybil

We will be on a cruise that stops at Montego Bay and I was interested in going to Negril from there. I have been to Jamaica before and interested in seeing that part. How long does it take to get to Negril from Montego Bay? Is there a new highway for speedy travel there? Do you think I have time to explore around Montego Bay, then go to Negril?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 03:43 AM
iriemon

Time can range from 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the traiffic and how crazy your driver is. With the new highway, I would allow 2 hours. <BR><BR>You can also book a filght on one of the commuter plane services (TimAir, etc) for around $60US per person and get there in 20 minutes.<BR><BR>Respect

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:04 AM
mierin

When I was in Jamaica in September the new road done except for brief section in Lucea, I believe took 58 minutes from MoBay to Negril and 1 hours 13 minutes from Negril to MoBay on Hedo's transport van/bus. Given that a taxi will run you around 60 you may want to do TimAir for 110/pp round trip. They have a website at www.timair.com and you get a great aerial view of Jamaica.<BR><BR>mierin

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 10:07 AM
liza

How long do you have?<BR><BR>Before the road was done we used to go from MoBay to Negril on day trips all the time.<BR><BR>Now I'm hearing travel times from people the last couple of months ranging from under an hour to an hour and 15...with a beer stop.<BR><BR>Flying *might* be faster but only if you don't have to wait long for the plane to go, which you sometimes do.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Eric

I did the trip with a (fairly slow) driver last week - too 1 hour and 20 minutes.<BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Sybil

We will be in port from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm. I was interested in doing some shopping while DH really wanted to see the beaches of Negril. The flight option sounds good, but by the time we get a taxi to airport, get to airport, board plane, etc. it may take as much time as getting a taxi and driving directly there. <BR>We may leave for Negril in the morning then come back in the afternoon for some shopping.<BR><BR>Is Doctor's Cave beach just as nice as Negril's beaches?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 07:11 PM
xxx

Dr. Cave's Beach is ok...but nothing like Negril beach which is just beautiful. It is about an hour from Montego Bay to Negril (depending on traffic of course). In Montego Bay, I would suggest taking a taxi to Rose Hall Beach Club. Nicer than Dr. Cave Beach. Good luck.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM
liza

Since you have most of the day, I'd arrange with a private driver to pick you up at the ship and show you some sights on the way to/from Negril, and have them drop you in Negril mid-beach (perhaps your driver will stay with you if s/he can show you some good places to enjoy in Negril). Then you can wander up/down the beach (which has little craft stalls and such for shopping as well as bars adn restaurants). <BR><BR>You'll have to be on your ship again by sunset, too bad, but you might enjoy a little snorkeling from the cliffs in the afternoon before you go.<BR><BR>I'd save serious shopping for an island other than Jamaica...that is not it's strength. If you want wood carvings, coffee, t-shirts, that sort of thing, you can get it in Negril.<BR><BR>Doctor's Cave is a nice beach but you can walk from one end to the other in about 5 minutes and it is set up for tourists now with its own bar and restaurant. Negril's is miles long with small (independent) businesses all along it...different animal altogether.<BR><BR>I thought the beach out by Rose Hall was kind of windy/wavy - not that clear and calm, but maybe it's been the time of year we've been there.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:59 AM
K

You can also charter a small aircraft which will fly you from MB airpoirt to Negril in about 30 minutes. Then you would need a cab to get you where you want to go. However, I don't really think that getting to Negril and back in one day is really worth the hassle you'll need to go though to get there in the limited time you have. You'd be better off hanging out in MB for the day and returning to Negril for a vacation someday.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:19 PM
Sybil

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We really appreciate it. We actually decided on using Carolyn Barrett for a day tour. She has a tour that stops at a plantation for horseback riding and then to Negril and will get us back to the ship on time. And we can have her for the same cost as a cab and get far more.<BR>Thanks again everyone!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:12 AM
liza

Great! We did a day with her husband Errol last year and had a great trip.