Reload this Page >

Looking for a honeymoon destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:30 AM
DH Evans

I am getting married in May 2003 and am seeking out a honeymoon destination. I am considering something in the Caribbean or Central America? I've been to El Salvador and Guatamala and loved both trips. While I'm pretty adventurous, my future wife just wants to relax.<BR><BR>I want to avoid overpriced tourist traps and crowds. We both hate having to haggle for everything and being exposed to constant panhandling. Any thoughts?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:33 AM
lisa

Since you like Central American, how about Belize? There are lots of interesting adventures (scuba diving, jungle trips, caves, etc.) Then you can relax for a week on one of the Cayos ("keys") and sit on the beach. <BR><BR>Lisa

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:54 AM
DH Evans

Lisa, any particular beach hotels you could recommend??

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Julie

Really enjoyed Puerto Vallarta, Mexico at Camino Real for honeymoon. Went on a "jungle" tour on a boat. Very tropical with mountains nearby. Did have people selling stuff on beach. Cobblestone streets are quaint. Nightlife available. I think Predator was filmed there...

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Patty

DH Evans,<BR>What kind of atmosphere are you looking for and how much do you want to spend? Keep in mind that Belize is a low-key destination that does not have any true 'luxury resorts' (except maybe Cayo Espanto which is a private caye). Here are two that come to mind that might be good for a honeymoon destination - Inn at Robert's Grove (www.robertsgrove.com) which is in the beach community of Placencia in the southern part of the country and Mata Chica (www.matachica.com) located on the northern part of Ambergris Caye (probably the most commercially developed caye in Belize). Both of these properties would be in the high range (cost and amenities) of places to stay in Belize. If you decide on Belize, go to the Belize Forums at http://www.belizeforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi and you can find lots of help there.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Sheila

Don't know what your budget is but I just looked into the resort that the movie star Freddie Prinze and his wife honeymooned at and it really looked nice--Careyes Resort (sp.) near Manzanillo in Mexico.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Sheila

That's El Careyes Resort, Costa Careyas Mexico between Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Sheila

Third attempt, it's El Careyas Resort, not El Careyes.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:50 PM
GM

I'd have to say the BEST for the buck and the romance and the resort and the spa is hands down, Le Sport, St. Lucia. It's all inclusive, 2 spa treatments per person every day, 3 pools, private beach, 3 gourmet meals per day, plus High Tea, all premium drinks, and gorgeous property. Since it's a private beach, there's no one allowed on the property except the guests. There's no tipping, either for anyone - restaurant or spa staff, it's all included. And with all the eating and drinking, the spa treatments, I lost 7 lbs. down there. May is off season for them, and not within hurricane season, either. Check out their website. If your wife is looking for doing major duty free shopping, St. Lucia is not the place, but going to this resort you WILL come back refreshed, pampered and relax. We're going back for our 3rd time in Winter, 2003. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
abel lopes

Need email adress for le sport in st. lucia<BR>Thanks

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 04:47 PM
terry

Went to Couples, Ocho Rios Jamaica a few years ago. Absolutely the most beautiful place, and the FOOD is just beyond words. No panhandling in the resort anywhere. but there is a small pottery shop up the street. Just all the R&R you can handle. the only negative thing we found at Couples is there is no place to walk anywhere in Jamaica except for right in front of each hotel. Undeveloped and mountaineous between each resort. But the beach sand is white and doesn't get hot. My brother loves Turks & Caicos, but pricey. Lots of wonderful places but check out all the warnings that are posted with our Embassys. That helped make up our mind because we were looking at Costa Rica, Dominican Rep and decided against those countries at this time. Good Luck<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:31 AM
Anthony

We rented a villa on St. John. Great island, plenty to do. The beaches are crystal clear, and plenty of them. Amazing!<BR><BR>A villa to us, was the only way to go.<BR>The snorkeling is great and there are, hiking trails. A truly spectacular island. A lot to do. We did not find it over crowded. We were there in May.<BR><BR>We found St. John to be a perfect place for a honeymoon<BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>