Hotel for before and after cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be taking a cruise out of San Juan. Any suggestions for a hotel. Is the rainforest worth the trip? Will be on a few islands that we have not visited yet. St. Lucia, Barbados and Antigua. Any suggestions on things to do?
Thanks
Karen
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 05:36 PM

On San Juan before/after cruise suggest Hotel Milano. On St. Lucia visit of course the Pitons and nearby volcano and there's a neat plantation, do inquire locally for that. On Barbados, do the caves tour and there's some really nice beaches they abound. Its a busy place, you'll get pushed by peddlers on the beach but ignore and have a great time. There's a good wreck to snorkel off the west coast. Antiqua, the historic areas are worthy of a stop, the bay east (crap name escapes me, someone will correct) is good. The beaches are excellent and many and very nice. Beach bars abound. Have a great trip whatever you decide, although my honest opinion Antigua is my least favorite.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Couple of comments for St Lucia. Like traveler863 said, try to see the Pitons. That area of the island is really beautiful. See if you can find a day sail trip. Going back and forth by land is a little tedious and if you get carsick easily, you definitely will here. If you go through Soufriere,which we did to get to the volcano, you will get a true "Caribbean" experience. Chickens and other animals all over the place, locals just "hanging out". We laughed alot about "why did the chicken cross the road?" If you don't do this excursion, recommend checking out the Castries Market right at the cruise ship port. Lots of cool island souveniers, local eateries. There is one area almost like an alley that has lots of little local places. Also highly recommend the Coal Pot restaurant. We went there for dinner twice our last trip and it was wonderful. They are open for lunch as well although don't know what their lunch menu is like as we had dinner. Excellent seafood and atmosphere. Think a taxi from the harbor would be relatively cheap.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:26 AM

If you write me directly, I can send you my one-day itinerary suggestions for people on a cruise stop in Barbados.

[email protected]
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 07:31 AM

just got back from cruise left from san juan. We spent one night at Wyndam old san juan which just changed to a sheraton. We had a great room, upgraded to a balcony. it is directly across from pier. depending on which pier, you can even walk to boat. it is walking distance to shops in old san juan without all the noise of being right in the middle of old town. I saw hotel milano, the streets are one way, very narrow, all buildings are packed, I heard the rooms are small and old and the noise level very high. the sheraton has a nice pool and shower you can use if you have a wait without a room. If you need to store luggage after the cruise there is a store from (ask the conceige) 2 block down they will keep it $1.00 a bag for the day.