PR and islands on cruise

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:27 PM
lze

PR and islands on cruise

Hello, We are going on a cruise in late Jan. to include San Juan, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas. Can someone give me info regarding a cruise and shore excursions, plus what the weather will be etc? Any info you can pass along will be greatly appreciated. Is there anything to do other than water sports etc?

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:50 AM
rqf

Weather will be warm to hot. Perfect swimming weather.Check the cruise line site for a listing of excursions.
What to in San Juan will depend on time you arrive. Some cruise ships don't arrive till late afternoon, too late for most excursions. A popular excursion in PR is the one to the Rain Forest. In ST.Thomas you can do what most people do - shop

Jul 18th, 2002, 08:40 AM
linda

STM and PR don't have good snorkeling, so if you enjoy that, take the ferry to St John. There are beautiful beaches there.

Jul 18th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Jean

In St Thoms We have gone to magan's Bay twice from the ship. It is crowded but there is always room for more. We go to the left side after we enter. Rest rooms, waiter/waitress walks along the beach for drink orders. Rental chaise, rafts and to the right of the entrance I think I saw water toys. Place to buy lunch. We have meet locals, other cruise passangers and other island visitors there. We are going on a cruise in a couple of weeks. Been to Sj many times but usually walk around old town, rain forest etc.
Jean

Jul 20th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Andrea

If you want to snorkel in St. Thomas, try Coki Beach. They feed the fish there, so the fish just surround you. Very cool. Also, Coral World, a marine park, is nearby. It was closed due to hurricane damage when I was there 5 years ago, but I understand that they have glass tunnels that go under a natural coral reef, so you can view the sea life without getting wet. Personally, I found shopping in Charlotte Amalie to be a nightmare when the cruise ships were in town (too crowded).

Jul 21st, 2002, 08:21 AM
Statia

Weather will be nice, but it might be a good idea to bring a light jacket or sweather, as evenings can be chilly that time of year (especially on the water).

I agree that the rain forest or Old San Juan are excellent excursions in San Juan.

As far as St. Maarten, I would recommend an island tour or shopping in either Phillipsburg or Marigot (I prefer Marigot myself).

I think that St. Thomas would be your better bet for any snorkeling or water sports, since St. Maarten is better known for dinning, shopping, and it's beaches.

Have fun!

Jul 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM
Heather

I guess it depends on what kind of activity you are looking for, but as far as beaches go, in St Maarten do the Orient Beach trip. It includes the ride there (to the French side), lunch, and beach chairs and it is wonderful! You also have time to shop in town when you return. I have also heard the America's Cup Sailing it great if you want something a little more adventerous. In St Thomas you can easily go to Magen's Bay on your own and rent chairs and have lunch there on you own. Also Coral World is St thomas is fun.
If you have an idea of WHAT kind of things you are interested in doing, post it and maybe I could help you out more. St Thomas and St Maarten are our 2 favorite places to cruise to.

Jul 21st, 2002, 11:31 AM
Suzanne

STT = shop shop and more shopping. STM was fun I think it was much cheaper to take a taxi to travel to the French side. Beware of nude beach. San Juan, Dinner theater I heard was good and the rain forest. If you arrive in the evening I would not hang out within walking distance bum, drunks ect. I would take a tour away from old San Juan