Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymooning in Bermuda - should I make dinner reservations NOW?

May 29th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Sunny

Hi all,

I'm going to Bermuda on my honeymoon next month (CAN'T WAIT!). We're staying at the Reefs, and our plan includes dinner at the restaurants at Reefs and partnered resorts. My question is - should I make dinner reservations now? Or can I wait until we get there? I e-mailed the Reefs and they weren't 100% clear in their response (basically they said I could if I wanted to but didn't really tell me if I NEEDED to). Thanks! : )

May 29th, 2002, 02:36 PM
miranda

We ate at the beachside restaurant at The Reefs last July. There was no problem with reservations---made them that day for a 7:30 seating. It was lovely. Enjoy your stay!

May 29th, 2002, 03:15 PM
X

Sunny -

Congrats on your upcoming honeymoon. Can I ask why you went with the Reefs? I'm considering a trip later this summer, but I can't decide between Reefs, Pompano Beach, Waterloo, Cambridge Beaches and Ariel Sands. Please make sure you tell us how it was after you go, too!

May 29th, 2002, 03:50 PM
nina

Sunny, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and your choice of the Reefs - it's my number one choice for lodging in Bermuda, and I've seen just about all of them. It's a beautiful place in a spectacular setting.

A little advice though, I think you're getting a little overzealous with the planning. No need to make reservations now. Wait 'til you get there. Relax, you're going to have a great time.

May 29th, 2002, 03:57 PM
X

Nina - why do you prefer the Reefs as opposed to the others I mentioned in the previous posting? What do you look for in a hotel?

May 29th, 2002, 04:50 PM
ML

I got married in Bermuda several years ago and have been back several times, I was told to make reservations the first trip before I arrived. I
forgot and had no problem in July getting in anywhere. If you'r in Hamilton try "port of call" it is on Front street. Great place !!! And not every tourist knows about it.
Have fun !!!

May 30th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Sunny

To answer X's question on why we chose the Reefs... we had looked online at pretty much every single place in Bermuda. Very tough decision! We knew we didn't want a huge place like the Southampton Princess - I've stayed in places like that before (in Hawaii) and they were great, but not what I had in mind for my honeymoon. We definitely wanted something smaller and with more privacy. We thought we'd focus on Southampton because from what I heard from people that have been there, and reading people's opinions online, the beaches are great, and I'm sure we're going to spend a lot of time at the beach! We also don't mind having to take a cab into the "city" but prefered not to stay in it.

As for the Reefs itself, just about everything we read couldn't praise it enough. We're doing the honeymoon package, which seems to include a few nice extras. I don't know how much extra we're paying for that or if they're worth the money but I'm a sucker for little things! : ) The restaurants sound great - that was another plus (okay, we're pretty much planning on spending all of our time at the beach and eating - ha ha ha!). Overall, it sounded just like what we were looking for.

Nina - thanks for the advice. That's what I was wondering... the last several weeks of wrapping up wedding details have left me an organizing/planning maniac! Must... relax...!

May 30th, 2002, 05:12 AM
nina

Have a great trip Sunny, my husband and I honeymooned in Bermuda 18 years ago next week, and it's still one of our favorite places to visit.

X, to answer your question. The Reefs is on a cliff and the rooms have a fantastic view. The food is excellent and both resturants overlook the beach. It is not stuffy, but more casually elegant.

The Waterloo is very stuffy. It is a beautiful little place, decorated very nicely but I always feel like I have to whisper and dress properly at all times. I don't find it very relaxing and I don't like staying right in downtown Hamilton. I'd much rather stroll the beach in the evening.

Cambridge beaches is nice, but it's right across from the beach, so you have to walk across the street and use the beaches at Coral Sands, which is very nice but I guess I just prefer that my hotel be on the beach. The food is good and it is a very old money, waspy atmosphere.

Ariel Sands would be my second choice after The Reefs. It's more casual, in a beautiful setting, on the beach but something about being up on that cliff at The Reefs just appeals to me. When you stand on the terrace at the Reefs you just think "Wow".

I've never been to Pompano Beach so I can't comment on that one. Hope this helps.