Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon suggestions for mid-July from Washington, DC area

Jun 6th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Me and the to-be Misses are looking for honeymoon destinations for mid-July departing from the Washington, DC area. We'd like a warm destination within 5-6 hours air travel. I was considering Belize and then read that rainy season includes July. We've been to Aruba and Barbados already or those would be on our list. Nothing too adventuresome as we'll be looking for some R+R in a friendly area with beaches. Leaning toward any All-Incl packages also. Appreciate any suggestions.

Jack
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM

You might want to consider Curacao (sp?). The Marriott is supposed to be great on the island. July is hurricane season so your best bet is to go to one of the ABC islands. However, many people do go to the Caribbean during the summer provided that they know there is a heightened chance of storms, inclimate weather, etc.

You might also want to consider the Caribbean side of Mexico, specifically places around the Riviera Maya area. I've heard fantastic things about an all-inclusive called Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen. It's supposed to be one of the most upscale Als around.

Good luck!
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM

U.S. Virgin Islands. Lots of resorts to choose from and there are direct flights from the Washington D.C. area which are about 4 hours. So far away in the beautiful Caribbean and still part of the U.S.!
Jun 7th, 2005, 09:56 AM

I second the Virgin Islands! We are going there for our honeymoon and flying into St. Thomas from DC. We do have a short layover in Charlotte. We leave National at 7 am and arrive in St. Thomas at about 1 pm. We are spending one night in St. Thomas, 4 in Peter Island, and a week in St. John. Good luck!
Jun 7th, 2005, 03:53 PM

Bermuda. It is a lovely relaxing island. It is their high season in the summer and you can fly direct from Reagan National in about two hours. Most of the hotels offer a breakfast and dinner plan with afternoon tea. These would be included in the room rate. A personal favorite would be the Reefs resort. You would have to pay for lunch and drinks.
It is a very safe island. You can rent mopeds or ride the bus to town. The town, Hamilton is very cute and has great lunch spots.
Jun 7th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Jamaica is easy from D.C. I enjoyed Swept Away - very romantic, great beach and plenty of strolling available.
Jun 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM

you might want to check the spa palace in the riviera may 45 minute from the cancum airport 15 minutes south of playa del carmen is an all inclusive five star gran royal adults only resort me and the wife stay there last year over the thanksiving week we wher real imprese with the servie double jacuzzi in every room enless pools one of the best spas i have ever seen and a huge gym is not cheap but is good.
Jun 9th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked over some options in Mexico a bit south of Cancun and July seems to be rainy season there. Looking at St. Luica right now as a coworker had very nice things to say about it. Appreciate at references to go package deals posted on the net for Virgin Islands and Bermuda.
Jun 19th, 2005, 05:26 AM

Turks and CAicos Islands are fantastic. White sand beaches, turquoise water -- quiet island and easy to get to. (end chain of the BAhamas.) We stayed at the Turks and Caicos Club and loved it. Good luck to you!
Jun 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM

I third the U.S. Virgin Islands! Just got back from St. Thomas and St. John..Awesome! If you are looking for R&R St. John is your place and if you want a little hustle and bustle St. Thomas is only a 15-20 minute ferry ride! Good luck!
Jun 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Curacao is definitely what you are looking for. You might want to check out the Marriot hotel. You can try the following link:

http://marriot.com/property/propertypage/curmc

Copy paste it into your adress bar and check it out, I'm sure you'll like it
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:09 PM

Young Island off the coast of St. Vincent. Lush private manyplaces to visit on day trips.For example Mustique, Bequia, and Mayreau to name a few. Alas it takes longer to get there than 4-5 hrs. Admittedly I am somewhat partial to the Grenadines hence the screen name.
Jun 24th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Jax,

Perhaps you should consider a cruise. You can leave from Florida or Puerto Rico, so there is no long flights. I recommend a Southern Caribbean itinerary on Celebrity or Princess (or Crystal, Windstar, etc., if you are willing to pay for even more luxury). Advantages include being able to sail around hurricanes and storms, different island every day to explore or take your missus to a romantic beach, and mostly inclusive (alchohol is extra). Disadvantages include not as much privacy as some resorts.

If you want to stay in one place, I recommend Caneel Bay in St. John. I believe there are some good deals going on for the summer. From what I understand, it is romantic, secluded, yet close to anything active you might want to do. Shopping and eating on the USVI is also cause for joyous exploration! Oh ... I almost forgot, St. John has THE BEST BEACHES IN THE WORLD!

We are making the best of both worlds in November - 7-night cruise on the SeaDream Yacht Club's SeaDream II (visiting St. Thomas, St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Antigua, Tortola, and Jost Van Dyke), then 3 nights at Caneel Bay.

Congratulations and Enjoy!

Bill