Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you know now, where would you have gone for your honeymoon?

Search

If you knew then what you know now, where would you have gone for your honeymoon?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:55 PM
bridetobe

I've been lurking for a while now and am positively overwhelmed with the choices for a Caribbean HM (in addition to all the other wedding stress . <BR><BR>We are going in late May and want calm, beautiful water, great food, impressive service, some low key nightlife (small places on the beach to get a drink), a small inimate resort, fun excursions...and something a bit exotic. We also want something luxurious, but it doesn't have to be Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. And, of course, it has to be romantic and unforgettable.<BR><BR>Early thoughts are St. John's, St. Bart's, and Anguilla. How would you choose among these? Where would you go if it were your honeymoon?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 06:48 PM
Susan

Congratulations Bride-to-be! We did do St. John for our honeymoon in 1998 and while I liked the island a lot, we have since been to other places that I liked even more. Anguilla has become one of my favorite islands, while my husband still swears by Turks and Caicos. For a real honeymoon experience, meaning no nightlife, but seclusion and quiet, take a look at Cat Island in the Bahamas and Anegada, northernmost of the British Virgin Islands. Your choice of accomodations are very limited on either island, but both have a 'get away from it all' feel, which may be exactly what you need after your wedding. Again, congratulations and good luck in your search.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:52 PM
GM

I liked where we went for our honeymoon in Jamaica (Rose Hall Intercontinental, which is no longer there). We were married in the Fall, tho.<BR><BR>If I were you getting married in May, knowing what I know now, I'd consider the following in this order:<BR><BR>- St. John (GORGEOUS beaches, water, not as crowded as St. Thomas, and you can visit St. Thomas and St. Croix for historical stuff; and shopping/night life in Charlotte Amalie; plus hiking in the mtns of St. John; and snorkeling/diving in the gorgeous British VI)<BR><BR>- LeSport, St. Lucia, our FAV place now. It's all inclusive and includes spa treatments. Going back for our 3rd time next year. Luxurious resort.<BR><BR>- Barbados: Still very much under British influence, would stay in Christ Church Parrish. The eastern side of Barbados is the Atlantic with rougher water than the Caribbean sea, on the western side.<BR><BR>- Grenada has the aroma of nutmeg and spice that hits you while you are at the airport. Great beaches, and the folks are pleasant. Takes a little longer to travel to, tho.<BR><BR>- Anguilla would be on my list too, however, it IS pretty quiet there, so I'd go into Marigot, French St. Martin for some nightlife.<BR><BR>All of the above islands each have luxury resorts; just depends what you want.<BR><BR>Where ever you decide, just make sure you get a LOT of time to just 'veg-out' after the craziness of the wedding stuff.<BR><BR>All the best in your upcoming marriage, and hope the above helps.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:26 AM
joan

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't stay at any resort. I'd rent a gorgeous luxury villa with hot tub and pool, on the mountainside with a view and a car to drive us whenever we felt like leaving our love nest. Just the two of us. What could be more romantic?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:24 AM
xxx

If I knew then what I know now I think I would still choose what I chose. We married in the fall, so I was hestitant of doing the Caribbean Islands or a cruise. We did (don't laugh) Disneyworld. We had a ball and a great time. Not crowded either. I think when you are on your honeymoon almost anyplace is great. Congratulations, bride to be. I may also add we have done the Caribbean several times, before marriage, and once after the honeymoon.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:49 AM
Tabatha

Congrats, late may is perfect for the caribbean. 85 degrees everyday, a chance of rain that time of year but its outside the busy season so rates are cheaper. I vote bahamas! I was married there this past may and we stayed for 2 weeks! It was truly amazing! Great people, great food, very relaxing! I wouldnt change a thing

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:51 AM
Doc

Hi there and congrats on your upcoming wedding! Although approaching our 10th anniversary, my wife and I still relish the memories of the Ritz Carlton in St. Thomas. It's absoulutely beautiful. Would I go back? Definitely. For a honeymoon? I'd likely look around. Currently, I'm planning our 10th trip and have literally looked all over the Carrib/Mexico/etc. First, decide what you two want: the &quot;understated elegance&quot; of say, Little Dix Bay or the &quot;glitz of the Ritz&quot;. They both have their pros/cons. Personally, I've decided to be very discerning about the Carribean due to poor service and the &quot;entrapment&quot; of being on a deserted island. Once you're there, they have you by the..ahhem, you know. So far, the best things I've found are: Little Palm Island on Little Torch Key in the Florida Keys. It's a well-kept secret and consistently one of the best rated places in all regards (check out their website). Con? Bring two suitcases...one with clothes and one full of money...very $$$$. Also, try the Ritz Carlton in Cancun or the RC in Key Biscayne, FL. I know you said you're interested in Carribean destinations but I would be very careful and research carefully. True, the water and beaches are second to none but the service can be horrific. You're doing the right thing, keep on looking and you'll find the perfect thing! Good luck.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:14 AM
travelpro

Cap Juluca and Anguilla but not much in the exciting excurstion department other than to St. Martin or St. Bath's. <BR>Caneel Bay if you are convinced St. John is your spot with lots of day trips, snorkeling and more excursions than you could want. <BR>Meridian Club in the TCI would be an option if I did it all over again. <BR>Definitely not the villa scene for a honeymoon unless you love cleaning the grill after you use it.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:19 AM
Bummed Out

Knowing what I know now..... I wouldn't get married.<BR><BR>Take a nice relaxing vacation by yourself and save yourself a lifetime of grief and alimony payments.<BR><BR>B.O.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:20 AM
nochange

In February, I went on my honeymoon to Beaches Royal Plantation in Jamaica. I wouldn't have changed a thing! Everything was included and the service was fabulous. We were upgraded to a gorgeous suite with a huge balcony, huge jacuzzi, and an awesome view. We spent the week unwinding on the beach, not having to leave (or wanting to leave) the resort for anything. People waited on us hand and foot. Want a drink? Put out your flag and a drink was on it's way. It was a small and intimate resort. I think there were 80 rooms? The people working there remembered your names and where you were from. Also included in our room was $500 worth of spa credit. Awesome. The couples massage on the beach at night was one of our favorite things. The food was excellent too. No buffets, just excellent quality food. The resort offers a trip to the Dunn's River Falls (which we didn't do). Also if you golf, that's included and I've heard the course is very nice. The water sports guys were very friendly and took us out on our own private snorkeling trips to the reef. <BR><BR>I was hesitant going there, not wanting to go to a &quot;Sandals&quot; kind of place. But my travel agent convinced me that this place was more than that. And she was right. <BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:36 AM
Cheryl

Late May is the perfect time (weather wise) to visit Bermuda ... look into Cambridge Beaches, The Reefs, Pompano ... all get good reviews and you will find lots of information if you do a search.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:45 AM
nnnn

Hi!<BR>Spent one week at Cap Juluca on Anguilla - Absolutely perfect. Amazing luxurious accommodations, great service, beautiful beaches and plenty of perfect restaurants. Followed by a week in a rented villa in St Barths. It was great. A little more nightlife for the second week, plenty of amazing restaurants, and beaultiful beaches. It was very relaxing and also so much fun.<BR>Just my opinion.... but it sounds like it would fit what you're looking for as well!<BR>Have fun!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:07 AM
nina

I still love where I honeymooned - Bermuda - more than any caribbean island or anywhere in Hawaii. It's one place that we return to over and over again, but, knowing what I know now, I'd honeymoon on the Amalfi Coast or Capri. More beautiful, culturally rich and better food! Check out Le Sirenuse in Positano, next stop to heaven, and it doesn't get more romantic. Trust me.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:10 AM
NJ

We got married on a beautifl beach and honeymooned in a gorgeous villa in St. John, USVI. Would we do it all over again, absolutely. The island has everything one could want. <BR><BR>The beaches are wonderful, the shopping great and you can go out daysails to the BVI's. It really was a memorable romantic wedding/honymoon. <BR><BR>We thought what made it extra special was having your own private villa. You can opt to have a chef come to cook for you one evening. <BR><BR>I've also been to Bermuda which is also a gorgeous island but extremly expensive and they don't seem to have the gorgeous villas to rent. We also thought there is a lot more choices of things to do on St. John. <BR><BR>Congratulations! By the way, we went in May in the weather was picture perfect.<BR><BR>NJ

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:42 AM
Mandy

To Joan:<BR>Where is this place you speak of??? Also planning a honeymoon (although for October) and considering a villa instead of a resort. (we do love those all-inclusives, but want exotic private feeling) Would absolutely love an outdoor private jacuzzi. Thanks!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:47 AM
Becca

I would return to the same place we honeymooned - Caneel Bay resort on St. John. This time, though, I would stay longer - instead of six nights, I would stay two weeks.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:14 AM
Ro

My husband and I spent a week at the Hyatt on Grand Cayman. Nice property but overpriced. Now, 6 years and 2 kids later, I scan the web frequently dreaming about taking another luxury caribbean vacation but must limit my choices to places that are kid-friendly and easy to get to. That said, if I could do it over again I would pick a place that is further out in the caribbean and definitely adults only. (I heard Le Sport in St. Lucia is fabulous.) Save the family resorts and islands that are easier to get to for later... when you are restricted to those choices because of your children.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:15 AM
helper

Bridetobe - I have never stayed but it looks amazing and I have heard great things about Anguilla. Particuarly Cap Juluca - check it out. Congrats and good luck!!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:23 AM
bridetobe

Wow...thank you, for all your suggestions. I really appreciate you sharing your suggestions and experiences with me!<BR><BR>One additional question: In your experience, is it a good idea to try and split time between two resorts on two islands (i.e., Virgin Gorda/St. John's, St. Bart's/Anguilla)? Or, is there plenty to do at one place?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:27 AM
xxx

I would do exactly what I did the first time. We stayed at the Moon Palace outside of Cancun. We had so much fun that we extended our honeymoon by 3 days. Oh what a great trip that was and thanks for bringing back the memory!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -