Honeymoon in October

Jun 27th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Honeymoon in October

Need an AI for $5000 or less (for two) in which there is the lowest probability of getting blown away by a Hurricane. The dates would be October 5th for about a week. Would very much like to do an AI though.

Any island / resort suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Ok, I'll make everyone's lives a little easier....how about an AI suggestions in Aruba? Saw that they haven't had a hurricane there in over 100 years.

Jun 27th, 2003, 09:53 AM

You're right, Aruba hasn't had a hurriane in a long time. As far as prices, it all depends on where you're flying from and what kind of hotel you want to stay at. To give you an idea, without inclduing airfare, you can look at the Holiday Inn Sunspree for about $1400, to the Wyndham for about $3000, with some options in between, so as you see, there is a big range...

Feel free to send me an e-mail if you have any questions. Regards,

Enrique
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:50 AM

Aruba is a great choice for your honeymoon! There are only 2 totally all-inclusive resorts Divi and Tam (Divi is nicer and less family oriented). But, there are a few hotels that offer an AI option. Better yet get a deal that includes buffet breakfast daily (some of the hotels also have a drinks plan that can be added on)as the restaurants are so very good in Aruba would be a shame to miss out. There is also a dine-around option available.

Take a look at http://www.travelunlimited.com as they specialize in Aruba and you can see a sampling of their packages on the website.
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:28 AM

We honeymooned last October 2-10 in Antigua and we had great weather. We stayed at Sandals Antigua and spent right at $5000 for the two of us, including airfare. This was also staying in one of the concierge level suites. We really enjoyed the resort and find it to be a good spot for a honeymoon. Aruba is a bit more Americanized than other islands, so you may consider that. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Congrats and good luck in choosing!
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:11 AM

I am not an Aruba fan.

I would choose Antigua and stay at Sandals or St Lucia and stay at the Grande San Lucian, also a Sandals. Both islands are lovely, the resorts very nice and the towns safe and easy to explore.
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:03 AM
caribtraveler

Aruba is outside the hurricane belt, that's why they have no hurricanes. Although we did get a tropical depression when we were there (no biggie, it was just one day).
Aruba is very nice if you understand that it is not your typical caribbean island. It's touristy, lots of Americans. It's arid with lots of cacti. But it's a fun island and has very nice water (I personally think Aruba's water is a lot nicer than St. Lucia's---just my personal opinion).
We were there in October '99 and stayed at the Divi Aruba Beach Resort Mega All Inclusive. They have a nice, fairly big beach and the food was fine. They had a fabulous 3-men band that played on the beach 5 nights a week (caribbean music). We really had no complaints. It's not a high-end resort. It's more middle of the road. If you understand that before heading there, then you'll enjoy it. We did and we thought the island was really fun. You must do the all-day jeep safari tour if you decide to go there!
We have 2 cousins who went there on their honeymoon with their spouses and stayed at the Hyatt. They loved it. It's not all inclusive but I think you can get a meal plan. Your total price shouldn't be far off your $5,000 limit. We saw the Hyatt and its beach and it's really nice. Another option to think of.
The other 2 islands outside the hurricane belt are next door to Aruba and that's Curacao and Bonaire. Can't tell you about them though since we haven't done them yet!
Good luck.

Jun 28th, 2003, 08:05 AM
caribtraveler

I meant to add...since it's your honeymoon, try for the Hyatt if you decide on Aruba..it's just a much nicer hotel than the Divi. You only honeymoon once..hopefully! (smile).

Jun 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM

You know, it really does a disservice to people when incorrect information is passed along over and over.
I'm not criticizing anyone here in particular, because misinformation about Aruba (and Barbados, etc) and their alleged immunity to the effects of hurricanes is printed in travel books and on many websites.

But suffice it to say that Aruba IS VULNERABLE to hurricanes.
The last hurricane which did significant damage in Aruba was only 4 years ago (Lenny).
Aruba's been hit by 13 hurricanes and major storms in the past 100 years. So one every 8 years or so isn't too bad.

So why is this popular saying, that "Aruba is out of the hurricane belt" so frequently repeated?
My guess is that the root cause is simple capitalism.
Timeshare brokers, hoteliers, etc etc want to set Aruba apart as being a no-risk destination.
It's not.

Granted, hurricanes are pretty uncommon in Aruba.
The point here is not to imply that Aruba is a risky destination weather-wise. In fact, it's the safest (along with Bonaire and Curacao) in the Caribbean.
But I think it's still important for potential visitors to at least have a basic understanding of possible risks.
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Secrets Excellence or Paradisus in Punta Cana...secretsresorts.com or solmelia.com. They are alot nicer than a 3-star resort in Aruba and about the same money.
Jun 29th, 2003, 07:56 AM
caribtraveler

Actually, Lenny did not hit Aruba. It passed miles north of it. Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao felt the remnants of it.

Jun 29th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Actually, GPlimpton, describing anything as part of a "Belt", as in Hurricane Belt or Bible Belt, denotes the greatest concentration of something. So yes, Aruba is outside of the hurricane belt in the same way that New England is outside of the American Bible Belt. That doesn't mean that you won't get hurricanes in Aruba, or that you can't find churches/Christians/bible-thumpers or whatever in New England. You just won't find nearly as many as you would in the Belt.

Massachusetts is also outside the Hurican Belt, but that doesn't mean that hurricanes don't come that far north. It's just unusual for them to.
Jun 29th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Thanks gplimpton for such a lucid explanation. There is much oversimplification in these message boards. Hurricane Lenny caused the type of substantial damage to Bonaire's coral reefs that will take years to recuperate.
Jun 29th, 2003, 12:16 PM

EJ: conrats on your recent wedding. I enjoyed your trip report.
My quibble is not specifically with the 'hurricane belt' phrase, but with the connotation that goes with it, that Aruba is completely immune to hurricanes.
I can point you to several books and websites that frankly state that Aruba does not get hit by hurricanes. Period.
That's my gripe.

Caribtraveler: Lenny did significant damage to the ABC islands. While its eye did not come too close to them, the point is that this is a travel board and if you'd been on vacation there at the time, or if you had reservations to go during subsequent weeks, your trip would have been ruined.
So from the traveler's perspective, whether or not the eye hits an island may not matter all that much.
There have been hurricanes which have passed directly over Aruba (including the eye). Hasn't been one of those in several decades, but they do occur.
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thaks for tall the replys.

As I understand it, if we travel to Aruba there is a smaller probability of a hurricane then if we go to Antigua or DR or St. Lucia, etc...that's my #1 concern. I don't want to get rained out.

As far as where to stay....we would really like to do an AI because after the wedding the last thing we want to do is think or plan anything. The only thing I plan to do is lie on the beach and get a tan.

We'll go out for 2-3 nice dinners and tool around the island. But as far as drinks and food go, we'll need a no brainer.

So, how about the Occidental?
Jul 1st, 2003, 05:31 AM
caribtraveler

gplimpton: i love being right but i can totally admit when i'm wrong. i asked someone who works for noaa's national hurricane center, and they did say the 3 islands lay on the edge of the so-called belt. hurricanes are a rarity there because of that but can still happen (they usually get tropical storms more than anything else). they believe the term hurricane belt was coined by journalists in the 50s and 60s to readily describe the area most affected by hurricanes...and the term is probably perpuated by the rarity of hurricanes there and the local tourism board.
that was an interesting enlightment.