Search

Honeymoon help?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon help?

My fiance and I are trying to decide between Sandals Whitehouse and The Caves, Negril. The price is about the same for what we have already booked at whitehouse but I am starting to have some concerns. We are real travelers and not really Sandals type. But we are honeymooning in July and The Caves doesn't have airconditioing. If anyone has stayed at the Caves in the summer was it bearable? Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM

The Caves is just that -- many hideaway caves oceanside with very idiosyncratic
huts/cottages above. July is hot on island but you'd be in a breezy position. The choice btw. Sandals, esp.since you say you're 'real travellers and not really Sandals types' and The Caves, tho, is one of privacy and personalized service (320 rooms at Whitehouse, all sharing the same facilities outside those a/c rooms), style (Jamaican high style vs it-could-be-anywhere-BUT-Jamaica) and value for money. In Negril, you also have the entire area/cliffs and beach to explore whereas at Sandals Whitehouse you're isolated in a self-contained recreation of Europe with heavy overdoses of Vegas. If you're NOT an AI type, it could be real grim in more ways than just 'aesthetics'.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM

I couldn't agree more with what Tiverton has already written. I'm not a Sandals fan, nor of any AI chain, really. I've not stayed at the Caves before, but if their rooms are well designed and you have a ceiling fan, even in July the rooms should be bearable.

If both AI and AC are required to complete your honeymoon, check out the Moondance Villas in Negril.

I drove past Sandals Whitehouse on my way to Treasure Beach earlier this year, and I was taken completely aback by the monstrosity of it. If you really believe you're not the Sandals type, I cannot imagine that you would be happy there.

I wish you well finding the perfect honeymoon spot. If it were my choice between the two, I would pick The Caves hands down.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM

Ejcrowe -- Did you ever get the Priority Mail shipment to you some months ago?
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. I really want to switch to the Caves but my fiance really is concerned about the heat. I did look into Moondance Villas- it sounded perfect but it was about 500 dollars more than we are already paying- too much unfortnately...I am really torn- I am much more of a traveler than my fiance who needs his A/C and sports center unfortunately!
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM

Why don't you try Couples Swept Away (www.swept-away.com). It gets rave reviews and they have a huge athletic center.

It should be less expensive as Sandals is tremendously overpriced.

I've heard a lot of people on the Jamaica board talk about splitting up a trip between the cliffs and the beach. You can spend half the time at a place like Swept Away and then the remainder at the Caves or Rockhouse (www.rockhousehotel.com; I think Rockhouse is cheaper than the former and they have what looks like awesome cliff-side bungalows for a bargain).

Good luck with planning. I agree with the previous posters in saying that if you are a real traveler you will not be happy at Sandals.