Honeymoon/Grenada

Dec 19th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Lauren

Honeymoon/Grenada

Hi all...

My fiancee and I are now trying to decide where to go for our honeymoon and we are literally all over the globe. We started in Grenada and we've since considered:
Tahiti, Hawaii, Greece, Sardinia, Italian and French Riviera (to name a few).

For some reason I keep being drawn to Grenada and LaLuna.

Here is my dilemma:
I am not sure if we can last 2 weeks at the same resort. So, what else do we do?
Do we go to another island? In the Grenadines? Where? Every place that I would love to stay at is closed in September (Cap, Cotton House, Salt Whistle, etc.)

Do we hop on a boat?
We would be going the first 2 weeks of September (hurricane season).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
We are driving ourselves insane!

Thanks!

Dec 19th, 2002, 04:46 PM
GM

You will not be disappointed with Grenada. My sister loved it and said 8 days was not enough; as it is, the travel time down there is like 7 hours from the East Coast.

There are lots of things to do:

- Carriacou is a sister island to Grenada, with pretty beaches and great diving (with a wreck there) and snorkeling, easy to get to (check with Concierge)

- Concord Falls, which are 3 separate cascades and includes the lower falls for swimming, and the surrounding area is a lush tropical rainforest canopy (a guide is recommended, tips appreciated)

- River Salle Boiling Springs, near Lake Antoine

- Fort George and Fort Frederick, built in the 18th Century

- The Spice Estate Tour, an historic estate where the spices are gathered before processing

- The Town of Grenville, with the nutmeg processing plant tour

- The River Antoine Rum Distillery, a privately owned factory dating to the 18th century that still makes the rum as it was done back then

never MIND duty free shopping in town for jewelry, liquers, and great spice items (I got some quaint little baskets of Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Bayleaf my sister got me).

Hope this helps, and hope you will consider Grenada.

Dec 20th, 2002, 04:08 AM
xxx

On a cruise ship we were in Grenada. We went to 6 Islands, and Grenada was my favorite. I am not sure they go there anymore. Not sure why but at any rate, if was a very interesting Island. I would return there for a week with no problem. I hope this helps. I cannot comment on your other places.

Dec 20th, 2002, 05:02 AM
joan

What about combining your trip to Grenada with a trip to Young Island on St. Vincent? Although I agree there would be enough to see just on Grenada, we've been to both and St. Vincent is absolutely beautiful. You can chill at Young Island, or spend your days exploring by jeep, or even take their sail away option, with a 3(?)night cruise aboard a 45 foot sailboat with crew for part of your second week. We loved the food and the accommodations there, we stayed put, but if you're the wandering type, this would be a great diversion. Congratulations!

Dec 20th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Eva

The others have got it absolutely right ... you can definitely spend 2 weeks on Grenada and never lose interest. While you might consider one of the private island resorts in the Grenadines for part of your trip (Palm Island, PSV), or even a few days on a crewed yacht charter (you'll never look at island travel in the same way), for a complete change of pace, start your trip with a few days in Puerto Rico, with San Juan's cosmopolitan city pleasures and history and all else the island has to offer. One of my (few) big beefs about Grenada is how long it takes to get there ... if you fly AA, you go thru SJU and have a loooong layover -- avoid that by starting your trip in Puerto Rico. (If you fly BWIA, which used to include a stopover in Trinidad, think about staring your trip in Trinidad and/or Tobago).

Dec 20th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Lauren

Hey all - thanks for the quick replies...
I should mention that I have been to Young Island (and loved it) but would like to try a new place.

Also, I've been to PR more times than I can count. Although with a long layover there, that might be an interesting option.

Is PSV open in Sept? What's it like there? I may just end up doing the 2 weeks in Grenada. It's so hard to decide.