Help with Island and Hotel Choice for August Family Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens - 18, 14) and are looking for help with our planning of our first Caribbean Island vacation. The trip is planned for early to mid August and would be for 5-7 days. We are looking for an island that has not been "Americanized", by that we mean, not totally populated with American hotels and restaurants. My daughter has also thrown in the requirement that the Island have rain forests that we can visit. We would want nice beaches, along with good restaurants, and some (a lot is not necessary) shopping venues. We are going to want to snorkel and swim (a pool is a requirement) and hike/explore the island. Please help us with suggestions for the Island as well as hotel/resort suggestions. We are not interested in an exclusive resort, such as a Club Med. As for price ranges, it is hard to say without seeing the exact prices, but mid range is a good bet! Thanks, Susan
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I have heard great things about St.Lucia,Negril-Jamaica,Nevis and St.Kitts,Tobago.

Avoid Aruba (too Americanized)trust me..I've been there.

For a non-caribbean vacation...it would be Kauai,Hawaii..very lush and green with good snorkeling,culture,and hiking.It is a true paradise..

Maybe some more experienced travelers will respond to your post.
Good Luck!!!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:46 PM

When I really think about it..Treasure Beach,Jamaica sounds like the place for you all (rainforests,not Americanized).If you make a post to Tivertonhouse..he is real informative on Jamaica's Treasures beach.I believe that it is not too far to rainforests.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Susan:
Negril sounds like a very good choice for you. Awesome beach and a lot of things to do for the teens. Negril is populated by small, privately owned hotels and inns. You can organize tours to Mayfield, YS or Black River Falls. Check out Coco La Palm Resort....very family friendly with a wide range of accomodations. They have two very nice pools, as well. You will not regret it!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Treasure beach is wonderful (i htink j stayed at the smae place we did in TB, too - was it Mar Blue, ej?). It is not at all lush though, there's cactus and grassy plains, it's in the rain shadow of a mountain range. ALso the beaches in this area are brown sand and can have waves. Beautiful but not your typical Caribbean palm-lined bathtub. One advantage is it's dry so will be less likely to get rain in mid-August when the OP is traveling.

Portland is much more lush and has white sand beaches and clear water, some beaches very calm, some wavy.

Negril is great too, and I wouldn't say it's Americanized at all (tho they recently got a Burger King), but there are plenty of tourists there. My children like Negril a lot.

In all those places you might look at renting a villa (staffed with cook/maid and driver) or some of the smaller resorts in Negril (Nirvana, Whistling Bird, Coco la Palm, Charela, Rondel Village) or Treasure Beach (Mar Blue, Jake's).
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:57 PM

By the way, Susan, my first trip to Negril was in 1985 when I was 18. Had the time of my life! The nice thing is that it really hasn't changed a whole lot and that is a big reason why we return to Negril year after year.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Susan,I forgot to mention that CaribbeanSoul has alot of experience with Negril.Think that I might go oneday...sounds perfect.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:45 PM

PS Caribbeansoul...now we know how old you are LOL.I am close to that age as well,kinda makes you feel up there when it has been almost 20 that you have been out of school (I know it does for me LOL)
Take Care!!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

We are not really interested in visiting Jamaica (Long Story). So, any other suggestions?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:17 AM

Drive/or get a driver/ from San Juan through the rain forest to the west coast of Puerto Rico and the Agadilla/Rincon area. The luxe upscale Horned Dorset Primavera -- do a villa --would be a great destination;lots of small family-style seafood/fish restaurants;the area is also a favorite with surfers but surf will be calm August.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:50 AM

have you thought about belize...i was looking to take my family there this summer but my kids are to young for some of the excursions down there , but it would appear to have what you'd be looking for ie.. rain forest, great snorkling, beach and pool...look at banyan bay resort, looks nice...just not sure of the weather in august
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
St. John is an american island. Majority of the island is protected lands(undeveloped). The snorkeling is awesome and you can hike. I don't believe there are rain forests, but they have great beaches. You can also hop a quick ferry to St. Thomas for a day of shopping. Even though it is american, you will not see a Mc Donalds type places on St.John. It is also an easy flight from most cities. Another thought is St.Lucia. It has rain forests. The Jalouise Hilton has a great location, but they are selling to a new owner.(Don't know who) It is a true tropical setting. I think that most of your meals will be on property there because of it's location. There are of course other places to stay there. It is hard to get all of your requirements in one place. Usually islands with rain forests, have beaches that are mediocre. Antigue is another island that has a unique landscape with nice beaches. There are experts that have been many times to the islands I have mentioned. Unfortunately I have only read about these islands. One of my favorite summer time islands that I have been to is Bermuda. It is very british, good snorkeling and food. You can stay in the smaller hotels. It is not an exciting place for teens, but you can ride the bus safely anywhere. You can moped all over the place. It is a very pretty island with a beautiful landscape and nice beaches. My kids are younger, but they loved it.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Liza, yes, we stayed at Mar Blue back in January. It felt so decadent getting away from the New England winter that we're scheming to go back there again next year. Isn't Mar Blue amazing? Do you stay there every time your family is in Treasure Beach? When I told Andrea that I found out about Treasure Beach from Tivertonhouse but had read other online trip reports, she asked if I knew someone named Liza--I told her that I always looked forward to your posts.
Do you have plans to return?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Yes Christie....you now know how old I am! 38 years old...young by some standards, old by others! And the 20 years have flown by since HS graduation....amazing how it flies. I thank my parents very much for taking me to Negril in 1985....it was the beginning of a passionate affair with the Caribbean region. I think I have a good 40 years left to explore all the places I have yet to see! Happy travels.....Walk Good!