Help with Honeymoon plans

Jul 22nd, 1998, 09:23 AM
Rachelle

Help with Honeymoon plans

We are having a VERY hard time making a decision on our honeymoon destination. We've been to Mexico & Bahamas. Want somewhere different - but affordable. We won't be traveling till May, so we've got plenty of planning time....are some places better and more affordable in May??? We've looked at St Johns, help!!

Jul 22nd, 1998, 10:58 AM
LAE

We need more information: what types of things do you guys like to do? Party everynight or relax on secluded beaches or some of both? Do you want all-inclusive or pay as you go? Real fancy or beach resort or cottages? Any islands in mind? This will help us give you some appropriate suggestions. What island "look"are you looking for= dry, desert like or lush and mountanious? etc.....

Jul 22nd, 1998, 11:32 AM
Rachelle

We would like to do a little of both, party some nights -- relax on the beach too!! Somewhere affordable,(is there something in between??) but is is our Honeymoon -- so a little pampering would be nice.Lush & Mountainous with great beaches

Jul 22nd, 1998, 12:57 PM
dimi

Hi Rachelle - sounds to me like you're describing Cayman. have you ever been?

Jul 22nd, 1998, 02:08 PM
Rachelle

Hi Dimi -- No I've never been to the Caymans, but from what I've seen on the message boards, it looks expensive....and we don't scuba???? Are there ways aroung the expense??

Jul 22nd, 1998, 07:21 PM
dimi

Absolutely Rachelle- just like any other place, it can be as cheap or as expensive. Just to give you an idea, our most expensive meal,i.e., special entree each, specialty drink each and desert was $90 US with (15%) tip. And our cheapest was $28US. Trust me, my husband and I don't scuba either. The snorkeling is just as fabulous and to me it was the ultimate choice for a oliday. I would have like it even better if it was our honeymoon - extremely romantic. Check out my item in this forum under "JUST BACK FROM CAYMAN". It may help you decide

Jul 23rd, 1998, 04:29 AM
Bart

Rachelle, consider Hawaii. We are headed back for our 7th trip this winter and it can be done cheaply. Last winter we went to Grand Cayman (7 nites) and Boca Raton (5 nites) and for what I spent - we could have gone to Hawaii. Air $620 RT from Newark to Grand Cayman vs $850 RT to Hawaii. You should be able toi find hotel for less than $150 / nite in Maui. We usually stay at Marriott and this past June rate was $135/nite. The only negativee is the flight but you can get around that by laying over in San Fran or LA. Think about it and if you have questions e-mail me.
Bart

Jul 23rd, 1998, 04:47 AM
LAE

I think, if you are on a budget...but want to be pampered beyond beleif and not worry about money the whole time you are away=the only way to go is ALL INCLUSIVE...that way you know what the trip is going to cost you before hand and you can choose a resort that guarantees pampering you like kings and queens. Examples are: Couples, Swept Away, Sandals. These may be above your budget...but there are lots of really nice resorts to choose from. Lower budget..but still very nice all inclusives include: Rendezvous (St. Lucia); any of the Superclub resorts in Jamaica or Bahamas, etc. See a travel agent & they can provide you with a book on allinclusives and prices and what pampering they'll provide. Islands that specialize in allinclusives include: Bahamas, Jamaica, ST. LUCIa, Antigua.
P.S. There are some islands that are better to pay as you go, because there are too many reasonable restaurants to try in the immediate area you are staying. Keep this in mind.