Carnival Cruise Dining

Jun 10th, 1998, 06:53 AM
Dan

Carnival Cruise Dining

During the informal dinners do you need a coat and tie or can you attend dinner in slacks and sport shirt?

Thanks
Dan

Jun 11th, 1998, 08:12 AM
Wythe Keever

No sport jacket needed, although some men wear them on the informal nights. I felt comfortable wearing slacks and polo shirt.

Jun 17th, 1998, 09:37 PM
Renee Hughart

Men must wear a shirt with a collar on those nights. A nice polo will do. No tank tops etc. or shorts in the dining room ever, that is for men and women.

Jul 6th, 1998, 08:08 AM
Ruth V. Riviere

My honey and I are planning a carnival cruise for this August. We would like to know if there are any "hidden costs" that no one informs you of untill it is too late. Also what to pack and what to wear and when. We are going to the southern Carribean at the beginning of august. We also want to spend time dining alone; can we reguest a single table? Thank you for any assistance you can give.

Jul 6th, 1998, 08:16 AM
Bob

I am going on a 7 day carribean cruise . I am not a flashy dresser (I'm a jeans and t- shirt kind of guy)! Is the dress code very strict for dining and if so what can a guy like me wear (in addition to my jeans and t-shirts)? Thanks for your help.

Jul 7th, 1998, 12:02 PM
Cassie

First the dress code-they mean it. Jeans and T-shirts will NOT be acceptable for formal nights, for informal ones the jeans will be OK, but the T-shirt should be a polo shirt. NO Shorts in the evening. It's all in the brochure.
Regards the hidden costs - cruises always have a few. Plan on $7-10 per day per person for tips to the cabin steward, waiter, busboy, etc, given on the last day. For a 7 day cruise I generally do $25-30 for each the steward and the waiter, and $15 for the busboy. Put it in envelopes before you ever leave home then you don't have to worry about not having it at the end. All drinks are extra and a 15percent tip is automatically added at the bar so plan your bar expenditures accordingly. I have seen people run up $500 in bar bills, never realizing how much they are spending. Shore excursions will run $25-150 per person per port, depending on what you choose to do. Games like golf, skeet shooting, bingo, etc also cost extra. None of these are truly "hidden", since the brochures always mention them, but sometimes you don't think about them, because you just keep signing your name to a tab, and only find out the total at the end of the week.

Jul 23rd, 1998, 12:55 PM
Allison

Casual wear. Remember, you'll be sunburned so wear loose fitting clothes and bring a sweater because you'll get cold in the huge dining rooms.
one word of advice regarding the food: (my honey and i cruise so much we know the ropes) order as many appetizers as you lilke, salads, entrees or whatever when you order. There's no limit that you must order only one app and one entree. If you see two of something and they both look good, order both! It's a blast. You can taste to your heart's content. You don't have to eat the whole thing.... we always do this and on the first nite of every cruise the folks that sit at our table just give us that evil eye, and before nite #3 they are doing it too!