Reload this Page >

Help with honeymoon destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 06:37 AM
Kim

Hi, <BR> <BR>We'd like advice on choosing a honeymoon destination for late August of 2000. We do like beaches some but would get bored quickly if lying around is all there is to do. We would like someplace with history and culture to explore. Also, snorkeling and hiking would be good. Will we be getting into hurricane season in August? Thanks for any info!

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 08:07 AM
Christie

Yes, unfortunately August is a very risky time in the Caribbean due to Hurricane season, which runs from July to November. <BR> <BR>If you like history and culture, I would highly recommend Antigua, which has a very rich history and nice historical sites onit from its British history. However, you are taking your chances there in August- it has been hit two years in a row by hurricanes!

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 10:28 AM
Karen

August is hurricane season but it is hard to predict the weather ... just check on wrong-way Lenny coming out of nowhere! That's why there is trip insurance! The odds of August are lower than some other months. One of the islands you might want to consider is St. John. Right off St. Thomas, not only does it sport the beautiful beaches but opportunities abound in the Nat'l Park for hiking and activities. You can also choose to explore the other nearby island of St. Thomas (for shopping) or spend the days checking out the BVI's and some of the great islands and beaches there! It is easy to stay busy, if you want, or baske in the sun until your heart's delight. Properties range from "eco-camping" which can be for those on a tite budget to Caneel Bay (Rosewood Resort) which is the best of the USVI and has seven beaches on the property!

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 10:35 AM
Bob

Without a doubt,St.Maartern, I seen most of the Caribbean. St.Maarten has so much of everthing to offer you. If your still not satisfied you can visit one of the nearby islands, like St.Barts or Anguilla. Weather happens, you take your chances, where and whenever you go. <BR> Bob

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 05:16 AM
David

I know this is the Caribbean Forum and you may have your sites set on a caribbean island, but it sounds like to me Hawaii would be the better choice. Hawaii has the history, the beaches, the sites, the scenery, the restaurants, and the things to do (as long as you stay on Oahu or Maui).

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 10:13 AM
Julie

Have you considered Bermuda? Beautiful beaches. Interesting historical sites. <BR>However, like the Carribean, late August will put you into hurricane season.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Brenda

I spent 8 years working for a Caribbean hotel chain. During my employment I was afforded the luxury of traveling throughout the Caribbean. If I had to pick the perfect honeymoon destination it would have to be Bermuda. It is spectacular. Very expensive but worth every penny. Beautiful beaches, golf, flora and fauna, shopping. Best part very few cars. You have to rent a scooter. Other islands to consider would be Sint Maarten, St Barts, St John. I would stay away from Jamaica - you could not pay me to go back. Nasty people, very unsafe, corrupt. I had several bad experiences.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 01:20 PM
jim

<BR> check out barbados first week in aug. crop over festival,aka:carnival.island too far east for hurricans lots of culture and nitelife. southern palms beach club good choice for hotel

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 08:30 PM
waggie

Have been to Grand Cayman, Virgin Gorda, and St. John and would recommend any of these three. The beauty of either VG (BVI) or SJ (USVI) is that if you go to one, you can easily ferry over to another island, either British or US. We are not ones to sunbathe, and we were not bored on any of these islands. Probably GC or SJ would have the most to do and see. VG is a bit quiet, although the most breathtaking of the 3, in my opinion. On GC, we snorkeled, parasailed, rented waverunners, and there are a few sites to see. On SJ, there are many great beaches and just beautiful scenery, plus snorkeling or diving, of course. Plus, their national forest. An easy ferry ride over to St. Thomas for shopping and a change of pace. <BR> <BR>Good luck whatever you decide!