Reload this Page >

Conditions in St. Martin

Search

Conditions in St. Martin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 03:00 PM
Connie

Conditions in St. Martin

I heard from one source that the hurricanes really did a number on St. Martin/St. Maarten and that it is really bad there. I'm planning to go in late January but now I wonder if I should waste my money. Does anyone have any information?

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 05:18 PM
Tom

I just got back yesterday from a week in St. Martin. I did not notice any damage at all.

Old Dec 22nd, 1999, 01:57 PM
sandy

Hi - the last respondant who reported no hurricane damage was there before the last hurricane - I just got back on 12/11. There is considerable damage all over the island especially the Dutch portion around Philipsburg and the airport. there is less structural damage on the french side especially the east side (orient beach side). The vegetation is severly damaged all over the island - most of the palm trees are just sticks with no tops and all the other trees and shrubs look like they have been in a forest fire - the leaves are totally brown or missing. In spite of this I had a fabulous time. I stayed at the Grand Case Beach Club in Grand Case - it was totally laid back, relaxing, beautiful weather and beautiful beach - as are most of the beaches on the island. I would recommend going there in Jan but would stay in the french part. Just don't expect a lush tropical paradise - St. Martin is quite dry most of the time and quite brown right now - however the locals said the vegetation recovers very quickly. The sunsets were still magnificent, the people friendly and the food in Grand Case fantastic.

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 09:17 AM
Kella

I just returned 1/02 from St Martin. Stayed at Hotel Beach Plaza just outside of Marigot. All the damage seems to be on the dutch side. I avoided the beaches there, otherwise it was wonderful. Favorite beaches: Anse Marcel(Meridian property), Dawn beach, Baie Rouge, Plum Beach. Great restaurants in Marigot and Grand Case. Expensive, but worth it. Car rental a must, roads can be rough in places. Avoid Marigot during rush hour, otherwise a beautiful, friendly place. Take a boat trip over to the more quiet island, Anguilla. 10$ ferry from Marigot marina. Take a cab to Shoal Bay. One of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean!