Reload this Page >

Help in selecting island destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 11:32 AM
E.A.

I am interesting in finding a lush, tropical island setting for a small, intimate wedding next year. I would like to find a place that is more secluded and unspoiled. Does anyone have any suggestions? Just a reference to the island would be fine. I can do the rest of the research from that point.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 12:04 PM
Lisa

How about St. John, USVI ?

Old Jan 2nd, 2000, 05:12 PM
phil

If real small... Dominica, south end, at a B&B called Petite Coulibri. The owner cooks the best gourmet food!!!! From 1000 ft cliff, looks out across channel to Martinique. mmmmmmm

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 02:21 PM
Bob

St.John definitely, best choice

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 05:14 PM
Noah

You may also want to consider the following: (listed in no particular order) <BR> <BR>-The Grenadines (chain of small islands belonging to Grenada) <BR> <BR>-Some of the British Virgin Islands <BR> <BR>-Saba <BR> <BR>-Anguilla <BR> <BR>-St. Barthelemy' <BR> <BR>-Turks and Caicos <BR> <BR>-The 'Out' or 'Family' islands of the Bahamas <BR> <BR>-Tobago <BR> <BR>-Culebra or Vieques(off of Puerto Rico) <BR> <BR>-St. Kitts

Old Jan 3rd, 2000, 05:42 PM
Louis

I know this is the forum for the cribbean area but I think you should give serious consideration to Fiji where they specialize in weddings. If you want a small privately owned island that has been in the same family for two generations, I suggest Matangi Island. Here they will even bring in a choir over from Taveuni. They sing as well as anywhere in Fiji. Give them a look see at http://www.MatangiIsland.com. We have been there and it is one of my wife's favorite. She would jump at the chance to come to your wedding. This month is our 49th anniverary and we still love to snorkel. We were there in May 1998 and saw to lovely full grown lion fish. This was a one of the high points in our lives. <BR> <BR>This suggestion is based on your request for a lush, tropical isle for a small secluded wedding. Matangi can handle only 20 guests. Otherwise, I might suggest Guana Island in BVI where you can rent the entire island. I don't know about wedding arrangements. In Hawaii, they a an excellent wedding program at the Kona Village. Here they can handle more people. I hope this helps.

Old Jan 4th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Joe Raphael

I've been all over this world in 36 years of filming. You're lucky in that your request can be easily fulfilled. I will simply add Kauai and the fern grotto, St. Lucia, Virgin Gorda in the B.V.I's and you can't beat St. John as mentioned by previous posters. Happy honeymoon. By the way, I would mention Bermuda if I knew when you were getting married, weather should be a factor as well.

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 05:10 AM
David

I "second" St. Lucia. Its lush, tropical, secluded, and unspoiled. St. John or BVI or would be the other choices. Forget St. Kitts, and Turks and Caicos!

Old Jan 5th, 2000, 10:12 AM
Noah

"Forget St. Kitts, and Turks and Caicos!" <BR> <BR>Why? <BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2000, 06:44 PM
anna

There are so many magnificent islands that it can become confusing. I would suggest you decide what it is you enjoy doing -hiking,diving etc. and narrow your search for the perfect spot depending on your expectations. Each island has its' own unique personality and each one may be known for different activities, and cultures.