Help me pick a destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I haven't really been anywhere in the Carribbean. We are planning a short 5 year anniversary trip for this fall, and I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities. Could you help me pick a destination using the following criteria?

1. A relatively short flight from Boston (direct preferred) since we're only going for 4 days or so
2. A better chance of not being hit by a major hurricane (though we will get trip insurance)
3. Something somewhat private - not high rise city
4. We are going to vegetate, relax, sleep, and eat. crazy watersports and nightlife are not a high priority.
5. we dont want to break the bank

Is there something that is just *extraordinarily special*? I've read a bunch of posts on here and i feel like people rave about a lot of places. please, if you have an opinion, let me know... what's the best place going that meets my criteria?

~fiasco
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Cap Juluca, Anguilla. www.capjuluca.com
As long as you can wait until the beginning of November. Most places close in September and some of October in Anguilla.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM

I second Anguilla as a fantastic place, although if you want really close to Boston, check out Bermuda (not Caribbean, though). Depending on what time of year you go, the weather is quite nice, it is very relaxing, people are wonderful and it is super clean. I remember people on the island telling me they get hit by hurricanes no more than every 10 years (or something like that), and they were hit recently (last 2 or 3 years?), so, of course, you're safe this year. The benefit of going during hurricane season is that prices are lower than high season. If you want private, check out Cambridge Beaches - no kids allowed, though.

Did I say close? It's under 2 hrs. to get there from here.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Cvechko

If you want your own private beach - check out Lucky Dog Sea Lodge on Grand Cayman. Not really your own but close to it -- our favorite place of any island, etc. To see pix & lots of info on the area, goto http://www.sealodgical.com/index.html You can email Paula at [email protected].

I have heard Aruba is pretty well out of the "hurricane danger zone" but don't know this for a fact.

Old May 1st, 2006, 08:26 AM

I, too, would recommend Bermuda unless you're really set on the Caribbean. Their yellow buildings are beautiful to look at as are the pink sands. We were there during the fall of 2004 for our ten year anniversary and loved it!
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:10 AM

Turks and Caicos for a quick direct flight from Boston, great beaches, hotels in various price ranges. Can't help with hurricane risk however.
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM

I would second the suggestion of T&C. If you are open to staying in a villa, you can get away from the high rises.
Old May 1st, 2006, 02:42 PM

Hey, who flies direct to T&C from Boston?
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:32 PM

American Airlines, I believe on certain days of the week.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I guess what you mean by "break the bank??" I'm also looking and very confused but I have to consider cost. Just got back from Punta Cana 8 days/7 nites for $1,100 All Inclusive...my friends just went to Anguilla and it cost them nearly double that for a villa and flight....then you have to add in food/drinks/car etc. etc. Can someone give me price ideas on other islands? Thanks Kathy