Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Mid November family vacation to Bahamas or Anguilla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year! We are looking to go to either the Bahamas Four Seasons or Anguilla's Sandy Lane for three or four nights in mid November. Important to us is nice beach, water temperature, and how long it takes to get to the location since we are from the west coast and stopping a couple days in Orlando first. Both of these Hotels are extremely expensive also, for the room we need, two bedroom, 2 kids + 2 adults, the rate for both are $2500+, I would rather pay around $1000 if anyone has any other ideas for places to go that are more of a resort sytle. Thanks for your advice.

Baroo
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Baroo again,

Sorry I meant Sandy Lane in Barbados not Anguilla but Cap Juluca is also a possibility.

Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM

Water temps in Bahamas in mid-November can be cool. Anguilla or Barbados much safer bets for good warm temperatures. Also: Barbados, of the 3 places, is least likely to be hit by hurricane (though by mid-November chances go down at all three).
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

poss
Thanks for your reply. I think we are going to go for Barbados but change our dates to make sure and go in mid Feb.
Baroo
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Mid Feb will be considerably more costly than November--in some cases virtually double. We love Barbados-- was our very first Caribbean island 40 years ago, and we've been returning to one or another of the islands most years since. (Barbados is definitely far for you, as Kauia, which we also love very much, is for us here in Florida.)
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Living in northern California January or February are really the only times that we want to get away. We would like to minimize the time we take the kids out of school. In the Caribbean the water is sooo nice, we basically swim all day, at least thats what we did at St. Thomas we're hooked. I will need to compare prices though to make sure it's worth it. Kauia is beautiful.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:53 PM

If you love to spend your time swimming in the beach all day.. then I'd recommend Anguilla. The beaches are GORGEOUS.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Also: if terrific food is impt to you (and since you hail from CA, I suspect it might be), Anguilla's cusine is better than Barbados's cusine. (imo) Barbados has some quite good "island" cuisine (and no doubt at Shady Lane the food would be good), but Anguilla is known for its cuisine (almost up there with St Barts).
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I will look into some more hotels on Anguilla. It's tough when you haven't stayed at a place before and they are so expensive. The room is a very important part of our stay to us. I know what I'm getting at the Ritz or Four Seasons because they have a standard. I've stayed a couple other places, not in the Carribean, and been burned with high priced sub-par rooms.

Food is important.... I love to eat! But we usually eat early 5pm and light dinners, salads, etc. kind of morning people, so a nice lunch is great.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM

If you go in February, Anguilla is wonderful with great beaches.I think many of the restaurants in anguilla close in september, october and part of november.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM

Judging from my screen name you know where I recommend. Anguilla. If rooms are important-I'd check out Cuisinart. Stay in a third floor unit. They are spacious, very clean and have gorgeous views. The water will be very warm there, and the food and people are delightful. You couldn't go wrong there.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Anguillagirl,
After looking at the photos and all of the great recommendations I just booked us at Cuisnart. They were very helpful on the phone and just renovated the two bedroom suites with the nice balcony, yes, how could you go wrong. The food also looks as though it's going to be great. Thanks.