Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

help!!!i need ideas for family vacation!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in need of some ideas...we are a family of 4...2 girls ages 13 and 6...we've been to anguilla, stayed at the malliohana...my husband and i loved it...the kids needed more action... we just came back from four seasons punta mita, mexico...kids loved it...made many friends, a lot to do...if you can believe, the four seasons was a much pricier vacation than malliouhana...we are now looking for a resort that is upscale, but not as expensive as four seasons and malliouhana...with plenty of activities for kids...we've been to Beaches in turks & caicos, westin rio mar in puerto rico, westin st. john...i think we need something that falls between westin st john and the four seasons...any suggestions???
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:50 AM

Try the Cayman Islands. My son who was 11 at the time, loved it. You can rent a condo, but if you choose a hotel, I'd recommend the Westin.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM

I can tell you where the kids would have a wonderful time, but it is probably not upscale enough - Club Med Ixtapa. The kid's program there is wonderful. I took my daughter when she was 9 and she still talks about it 6 yrs later. They put on a spectacular show at the end of the week that included trapeze. She loved the trapeze. It was like a big summer camp. I personally thought the beach was quite nice - great view and so big, it could not get crowded. If you go before summer, it is one of the few places where it is pretty much guaranteed not to rain. I even liked the food because I love fresh fish and fruit and there was plenty of that. One bonus is that they have their own water filtration plant so the water was good. The reports on Tripadvisor are pretty accurate - basic rooms, lots of kids. Beautiful sunsets.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...fic_Coast.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:50 AM

I just got back from Jamaica with my two teens, who never ran out of stuff to do ( jet skiing, snorkelling, fishing, etc.).

I would highly recommend IDLE AWHILE, an upscale resort ( only 13 rooms!) on the best part of Negril's spectacular Seven Mile Beach. You'd have to get two rooms there, but pricewise it should easily fall between a Westin and Four Seasons.

IDLE AWHILE has no pool, but does offer complimentary passes to SWEPT AWAY'S fitness complex, which is just a 20-min. walk down the beach. There's tennis, an Olympic-sized swimming pool with lanes, classes of all kinds, massage treatments, etc.

Your kids would probably really enjoy Negril. There's plenty to do, as well as small restaurants both on the beach and on the cliffs where you can watch the gorgeous sunsets each evening.

If you need any other recs, for drivers from the airport, snorkelling trips, etc, just post again. I've lost count of how many times I've been in Negril over the last 25 years!

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 10:42 AM

LisaC-
Just wondering what you chose...
My kids are 6 and 4...what did you think of Beaches t&c and Westin St. John?
Thanks