Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Help how is Bolongo Bay Beach area and location in St. Thomas?

Aug 13th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I am wondering if anyone has stayed in the bolonga bay beach area? If so how was the location and the beach. We are looking at staying at the Watergate Villa Condos in that area. If anyone has any information about either the condos or the area that would be great. Tripadvisor had pretty good reviews about the condos. It is our first time to St. Thomas and we are going with another couple both in are early 30's. Thanks for the help.
Aug 13th, 2009, 06:08 AM

The beach is ok, not spectacular because it has a lot of small rocks, but it's a prety good beach, but I've only seen the beach at the Bolongo Beach Resort, so there may be nicer stretches. The area is fairly isolated, so you'd certainly need a car to get around. I don't know anything about the condos themselves.
Aug 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM

I am not personally familiar with Secret Harbour, but it always seems to get good reviews and is located on the east end of St Thomas near Red Hook.

http://www.secretharbourvi.com/
Aug 26th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Bolongo Bay is really the best location for a stay on St. Thomas - the access to 3 pools and 3 restaurants , and waterfront location cannot be matched anywhere else on the island. Simply the ability to walk home from Iggie's, and the convenience of that fantastic Caribbean only steps from your door makes this a great place to stay. Yes, there are some rocks - but, my family has never needed to wear water shoes - we just loll about on noodles, or go out a ways to snorkle. I'd suggest a car as you are only 10 minutes from Downtown, 10 minutes from Red Hook - but taxis are $10 per person each way!
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM

here's a fairly good map of st. thomas: http://www.frommers.com/images/desti..._st.thomas.jpg
as i recall the drive to red hook or charlotte amalie is closer to 20 mins. when ships are in or its rush hour more time to ca.
i have stayed at secret harbour and it is wonderful. great beach, great snorkeling, great condos.
you def need a car at either location.
if you want to splurge on dinner one night go to havana blue at the marriott (between you & town). wonderful food and gorgeous room.
when you go to town to shop be sure to look around the open air market you'll see just before downtown.
coral world/coki beach makes a fun day: http://www.coralworldvi.com/coki-snorkel-package.html
this is a great trip around the bvi's (passport needed) the baths, snorkeling, lunch, cocktails, view of all bvi's except anagada: http://newhorizonscharters.com/ they've changed the snorkel spot and restaurant since i went, (web site rest pics not changed to top of baths - pics shown are marina cay rest) but i'm sure it's still wonderful. you go in a reconfigured cigarette boat (Fast!) reserve on line asap if you want to do this - they're often booked months ahead.
magens beach is beautiful. go early in the day before the cruise shippers overwhelm it. nearby mahogany run golf course is supposed to be quite challenging.
ride the tram across from havensight mall at sunset, have a cocktail and watch the shimmer on the bay. we drove up the windy road. this was a mistake after the cocktail.
as you'll have a car you should know ppl like to honk. a lot. sometimes annoyed honks but mostly saying hey to each other.
another decent beach snorkel is from sugar bay resort beach. drive right through their gate, park in lot to your left as far from gate as possible. walk through pool area or down sandy service road to beach. it's an ai but they'll let you buy drinks or lunch.
Aug 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM

On St. Thomas, Bolongo Bay is one of the best locations. Good beach there is few and far between. You can take a sail/snorkel trip for half day or day to many locations with good beach and snorkeling.

If you are there long enough, a day trip to St. John is a MUST.
You can take the Red Hook ferry and arrange a cab tour from Cruz Bay. Snorkeling, beaching, hiking, eating, drinking. Try to time it or a trip to coki beach so as to avoid the Cruise ship crowd as best you can.