First time in St. Thomas

Old Dec 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in St. Thomas

My family is renting a villa in St. Thomas and it's my first time there. we are in the northern area on the peninsula and we rented cars. Any ideas for good beaches/restaurants/sailing trips or daytrips? all responses appreciated, thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I haven't been to St. Thomas since 1998 but one of my most memorable meals was at a restaurant called Craig & Sally's. It was great. I'm actually heading back to St. Thomas in January and am definitely planning on going back.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:05 PM

magens beach is on the north side & is the most beautiful on the island. go early and/or not on days when ships are in as it gets crowded. the view from above the beach is to die for. there is maghony run golf course also on the north side. coki beach and secret harbour beach are both excellent for snorkeling. coki is busy (don't leave valuables on the beach unattended)located on the east end. on the road into coki is a restaurant called tony romano's (good italian, must reserve). also coki world is there. this is a bio-marine park, with tons to do. check out their web site. secret harbour beach is on the southeast. it is the beach for a hotel and very quiet and peaceful. excellent snorkeling. also excellent dining at the blue moon cafe and a fun beach bar.
there is an outstanding day trip with www.newhorizonscharters.com out of sapphire beach marina. stops at st. john for a moment then to the baths for snorkleing and a tour. then all the way to the end of tortolla to marina cay for lunch at a pussers. then you cruise down the north side of tortolla with the next stop at
monkey point for snorkeling, and finally to the soggy dollar on white bay beach. you swim in to the beach and have a painkiller(s) at the place that invented them. then back to st. john to clear customs and home. they can travel this distance quickly because they use a modified cigarette boat. reserve this immed if you wish to go as they book up months ahead.
imho the best restaurant is havana blue at the marriott frenchmans - just outside charlotte amalie. beautiful space, unreal fusion cooking. reserve a table by the (huge) windows (acutally just openings) if you would like to read an article about it go to www.onepaper.com (st.t newspaper) down on the left under visitors click dining. on that page you will find the article.
the shopping in charlotte is unreal. again try to go when ships are not in. and do go when the open air market at the east end of the shopping district is open.
driving is on the left. so use caution at first. its a hilly island and the roads twist and turn. i actually find it easier to drive on the left except at intersections where i want to turn right. i seem to get confused about who goes first...the locals love to honk their horns when you mess up though. i honk back and wave.
take the tram ride across from havensight mall. get a cocktail and enjoy the view of town and the islands off the south coast. in the afternoon when the sun is sinking and the water is all shimmery it is really beautiful.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Definitely Craig and Sallys for dinner. It is in Frenchtown. It is fantastic. Craig is a super guy and Sally is a fantastic cook. It is one of the best meals you will ever eat. It was my favorite place when I lived in St Thomas.

Take the ferry to St John for the day. Try to do it on a day when there are fewer cruise ships in St Thomas. (If possible)

You will find tons of activites and lots of great places to eat. Have a wonderful time.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM

In January, there will be ships in port every day. Some days are less busy than others. A good beach is Sappire Beach on the east end.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:26 PM

I second the recommendation of dinner at Romano's. Just came back on Thursday and had a great meal there Tuesday night. I"ve also done the new horizon trip. They take good care of you for the day - I strongly recommend splurging for a full-day boat trip. Coki beach was not impressive - touristy and tacky. Magens is beautiful and I also discovered Saphire Beach this past week. Turtles swimming, crabs running around, and yet very swimmable water. Definitely take the ferry to St. John for dinner and some christmas shopping. Maybe spend a day at one of the beaches over there, such as Honeymoon.