Reload this Page >

HELP...Family vacation in the Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 07:19 PM
Lisa

<BR>Two families with young kids (four and two year olds) are planning a two week vacation together in May. We need advice from Caribbean experts for an island that would meet these needs: superb snorkeling and swimming beaches for all ages, tropical scenery that might offer walking trails, quaint shops, local farmer's markets, and quiet and uncommercialized (don't need much night life or touristy crowds). We'd love a house, villa, cottage etc. right on a gorgeous swimming beach. However, we're also open to a resort or hotel that offers activities for kids. We've read a lot of advice on this forum, and we're currently leaning toward Barbados or St. John. Help?

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 03:34 AM
Cathy

Lisa - <BR>You might want to look into a place in Barbados called Settlers Beach. The hotel is made up of 22 seperate villas, each sleep up to 5 people. The villas are arranged in a horseshoe shape so all have either beach or pool views. It's located in St. James, where the beaches are great - calm, great snorkeling, etc., and also near the Holetown area which offers great shopping. You can look this and other places up at www.barbados.org or www.funbarbados.com. If you want to, you could rent a van and travel together, or there are plenty of bus tours available. Everything you're talking about and more is available there. The kids would love the Wildlife Reserve where they can see green monkeys running free (in July we saw them carrying their tiny babies - quite a sight!), iguanas (they have their own area and won't be crawling around freely!), peacocks, brightly colored macaws, turtles, etc. Lots of other things to do. Otherwise, there is a site devoted to villas in Barbados - it's http://www.gobeach.com/barbados/barbados.htm These are not the "budget" villas, but worth a look for that time of year. There is also a realtor you might try to contact - [email protected]. They specialize in villas. Feel free to email me directly if you'd like any more info - I've quite familiar with the island. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 05:45 AM
Meg

Amazon.com offers a book called Open Road's Caribbean with Kids (ISBN 1883323827) that has great info on where to go, where to stay and what to do.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 04:27 PM
Patrick

Lisa- The Westin resort on St John did have a kids program. It is on on man made but pretty beach and it is very expensive. even more expensive is caneel Bay resort. If you can afford it, this resort has seven georgeous beaches on the grounds- it is actually inside the National Park. If your budget is more limited you could rent a fabulous villa for avery reasonable amount in May(off season), especiall since you are sharing with another family. Many of these villas are so large with different "pods" that you would also have a lot of privacy. The problem on St. John is that all of the most beautiful beaches that you will want to got to are inside the National Park and there are not many villas for rent near these beaches. If you are interested in villas check out www.stjohnusvi.com and look under accomodations. Good luck.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 06:37 PM
Myrna

Contact Denise at [email protected] for Villa accommodations on St. John. How many are in your party. For Anguilla, there is a beautiful but yet affordable villa that you may consider at http://www.choice1.com/Kellyvilla htm. Any questions you may email me. Good luck on your decision. <BR>

Old May 26th, 1999, 11:38 AM
Ghandi

Hey, you know the best place for you to go would probably be Puerto Rico. I've been there twice and loved it. I stayed at a place call Sunrise villas, and the guy who owned it gave me and my family a free cruise and diving instruction. If you are thinking about going here, call the Puerto Rican travel board and ask for Tristan W. Tell him that Ghandi sent you. Au revoir, et bon voyage!!!

Old May 28th, 1999, 08:50 AM
EAEllis

St. John has all that you are looking for. Check out www.caribbeanvilla.com <BR>They have many villas to choose from - waterfront, beachfront, waterview and others. The web site is excellent and EMailthem on the ones you are interested in and they will send great brochures,etc. <BR>National park with hiking, snorkeling. Good restuarants. Good luck. <BR>

Old May 29th, 1999, 06:38 PM
Karen

A good alternate on St. John and very family oriented is the Cinammon or Maho Campgrounds ... but with a two-year-old, I would not recommend Maho due to the elevated boardwalks. Each is located on its own lovely beach. Might be an adventure for the kids and fits your description of needs ... quiet and relaxing. At Maho, you can cook in your own tent cottage and assume you can do the same at Cinammon. Not many available villas beachfront due to restrictions of Nat'l Park. If you want the opposite end of the spectrum, Caneel Bay is absolutely lovely. Seven wonderful beaches that would be great for kids and they have recently become more kid-friendly with a Kids' Club.