Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used WIMCO Villas? Also general advice for our vacation

Nov 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

What a great site w/good information. I'm a new member & was wondering if anyone has used Wimco Villa Rentals? Their website is impressive, however I noticed the reviews that are posted are not up to date?

Also, I need some advice....please. We are planning a graduation trip w/2 other families. We all have teens that range from 15-19, so we are looking for outdoor activities, nice accomodations, some golf for the guys, snorkling, water sports, & some history would be nice. We do want to be "Awed" by the beauty of a Carribbean Island, blue clear water, some sailing to close islands would be nice, good food. While we enjoy our drink, we don't want a big party place.
Thank you!
Oh, we're looking at spending around $4,000 each family of 4. (3 families)
Sue
Nov 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM
ccc

We've rented villas on St. Barts several times from Wimco. They are a very good, reputable company with a wide range of villas. As far as advice on islands, our two favorites are St. Barts and Vieques. Both are wonderful, wonderful places. Unfortunately, neither has a golf course (although the first W resort is going to be on Vieques, and they are planning on building a course).
Sep 12th, 2016, 11:59 AM

We've rented Caribbean villas through WIMCO several times and never had a problem. They've been around for more than 30 years that I know of and are a very reputable firm.

To bouser: Did you happen to check if the villa you wanted to rent through WIMCO was available through other "villa rental websites" and a what price?

The reason I mention this is many times villa rental listings are carried on multiple websites (very much like a "multiple listing service when selling a home). It may be that the price shown on WIMCO's website was correct at the time it was first listed but the property owner (or the local property manager which in many cases is not the "listing agent") may have increased the price and WIMCO simply hadn't yet updated the listing on their website. In fact, on their website they do mention that "Prices and inventory subject to change without notice". That type of disclaimer is pretty much standard within the villa rental" industry namely because the "listing agent" doesn't control the price - that's the prerogative of the villa owner.

Despite what you might think, if there is a price change, the listing company may not update their listing very quickly (2 days is probably way to short) - not making excuses just stating a fact that things move very slowly in the Caribbean - we islanders call it "island time".

I wouldn't be so quick to call what happen to you a "scam".
Sep 12th, 2016, 01:04 PM

I see where the moderators deleted bouser's post which makes most of the "second part" of my previous response superfluous.
Sep 12th, 2016, 02:26 PM

>>the moderators deleted bouser's post<<

Most likely because it was an ad planted to top and eleven year old thread . . .