Search

Harbour Island Choices

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbour Island Choices

I've read all the posts here and checked out the websites of Coral Sands, Pink Beaches, Rock House and Runaway Hill. It's for a four day trip for me and hubby alone in November.

Some questions/concerns:
Coral Sands - looks really nice but fear there's no internet or gym
Pink Sands - would do this but don't like the idea of having to eat all of my dinners there. We like to try different things and aren't stuffy.
Rock House - Hard to get a feel of the resort/beach and bathrooms from the website. It's pricier than Coral Sands and has internet and gym. Is the location as nice?
Runaway Hill - looks nice. No rates on the web so need to do more calling. Is it on the harbour or the beach.

Any comments would be helpful. Has anyone been to Coral Sands in the past six months?

Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM

take a look at http://www.getawaybahamas.com
it has a large selection of privately owned vacation rentals throughout the Bahamas
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Pink Sands, Coral Sands, Dunsmore Beach Club and Runaway Hill are all on the beach, windward side of the island.

The Rock House, The Landing, Valentine's, Bahama House and Romora Bay are all on the Bay side of the island. Romora is right on the water the others are very close.

Runaway is the smalles of the resorts, on the ocean, it's only 10 rooms, but I understand there will be some building in the near future. I have been told the prices have gone up to something like $400 a night, and although it is a beautiful place to stay, not sure I would spend that much money for a room there any longer. The hotel was sold at the very end of last season and there are some major changes going on.

Having stayed on island for many years, I would suggest Coral Sands as a good choice for your trip. There is a good restaurant on site, and alot of other nice restaurants on island so you can dine around. Most of the rooms have ocean view or garden view, and there is a nice pool and beach bar. On the beach there are umbrellas and beach chairs for your use.

Check with Coral Sands on the dates you are thinking about. Alot of the hotels on island close September through November to clean up and get ready for the new season.

Have a GREAT time.
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I couldn't find my post until today...got in Fodors neverland.

Definitely leaning toward Coral Sands. More our speed I think with enough of the luxury to make it romantic.

Definitely want to dine around--that always make a vacation more interesting and gives you a chance to sample the local culture.

Still would love to hear from someone who's been to Coral Sands recently....any particular room choice?
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM

You might post a note on the www.briland.com or www.eleu.net both are active boards and would have lots of info about Harbour Island.

Also try Robert Arthur's website www.myharbourisland. He is very active in politics on island and owns the best bakery/internet cafe. He also makes the BEST coconut bread, lol.

Really not much changes on island from year to year, and Coral Sands only has 39 rooms, all of which have been recently redecorated. The staff at the hotel did not change when the ownership changed. Big Red is still there and will be happy to make you feel welcome at the Coral Sands bar. He's something of a legend on island.

If you want a bit more seclusion, check into Romora Bay which is www.romorabay.com. All the accomodations there are small villas overlooking the bay side of the island. There is a lovely pool/deck/bar area, and an EXCELLENT restaurant on site. Romora is also home to Fox Dive.

Again anywhere you decide to stay on island you will have a great time.