Half day in Charlotte Amalie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are spending a week on a catamaran in the BVI. To get back home, we will be taking a ferry in the early a.m. of December 31 from Tortola to Charlotte Amalie. Our plane doesn't leave until 3:30 that afternoon. Does anybody have any suggestions for spending a few hours in Charlotte Amalie. Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:18 PM

well shopping seems the obvious first choice. there is a tram ride across from the havensight shopping section of town that has a pretty spectacular view and cocktails. there is brewers bay beach or lindbergh beach right near the airport. if you could ferry to red hook instead of charlotte amalie, i would suggest you taxi to secret harbour. (resort less than 10mins from ferry) they have a wonderful beach, great snorkeling, lots of chairs and loungers,a super bar with public restroom and one of the best restaurants on island for lunch - the blue moon cafe. you would want to get a taxi to town around 1:30 and margaret at the front desk will suggest who to call. laid back and perhaps a good transition from the boat, rather than a leap into one of the fastest lanes in the caribbean.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Hello Bunkhedena, you could catch the ferry to water island from Crown Bay Marina. At water island you should hang out at Honeymoon beach. You would love it.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 03:07 AM

While the beach suggestions ae great, I rather doubt after a week on a boat you would want to rush to a beach as the last thing you do. As the first responder suggested you could do a little shopping or a tour would work also. The taxi association at the dock in Charlotte Amalie will check your luggage so you can do what you decide. They can arrange a tour as well as a shopping escapade. Just check with them as you leave the customs/immigration area.
RL
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:55 AM

Lunch at Gladys' restaurant. Buy a watch at Trident Jewelers. Buy liquor at AH Riise. Buy jewelry at H. Stern. Browse the marketplace where local vendors sell handmade and imported items.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:10 AM

Not much handmade in Vendor's Plaza but above it is a great little museum on Government Hill called Seven Arches. It's a house that is several hundred years old that has been lovingly restored. Really interesting.

I'll second the idea of lunch at Gladys'.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info.

Do most of the islands in the Caribbean have a place where you can check luggage while you go on a day trip? I wasn't aware that can be done.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Hello Bunkhedena! If you dont feel like beaching it you should take time to go up to MOUNTAIN TOP. They make the best banana daquiri on earth and on you can view the British Virgin islands and many more from there,plus good fun shopping.
Old Oct 9th, 2005, 03:08 PM

I forgot to mention to you Bunkhedeana. ifyou are going to really be presseds for time and still want a great place to shop you might want to consider HAVENSITE MALL, it is very close to the cruise ship port and there is great shopping there and you can get a good quick lunch if you are hungry.Good fun bars and it is fun to watch the ships also. If you have time to spare I would recommen MOUNTAIN TOP though,Best view in St. Thomas.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Hello again Bunkhedana! I forgot to mention to you, you MUST go see TH BATHS in Virgin Gorda while you are over there. Keep your snorkeling mask handy there too.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info.

How do you get to Mountain Top and how far is Gladys Restaurant from Mountain Top?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Gladys' restaurant is in the center of downtown in a little alleyway between Main St. & the waterfront (nearer to Main St.) You'll have to take a taxi to Mountaintop.