Jost Van Dyke

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jost Van Dyke

If you had to pick one bar to visit.....Foxy's or Soggy Dollar (this will help me pick my day sail from St John)
thanks in advance
mary
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:41 AM

There isn't a simple answer. I thought the Soggy Bar was a bit overrated, however, nothing beats White Bay beach. I think Foxy's has the better bar but it's just on a small busy beach. You can do both. And you should! You can walk, take a land taxi or water taxi between the two places.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response I would like to ask another question if you don't mind. Would you suggest simply taking the ferry from St John to Jost Van Dyke and hang out for the day? IF so is it easy to get around?
thank you again
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Yes, I would really recommend this. You can easily get around by foot, taxi or water taxi. Most people will arrive at Great Harbour, and if they are feeling energetic walk over the hill to White Bay (I am badly out of shape, but I managed to do this a few times). Then you can spend a few hours on White Bay beach, rent chairs, have drinks and lunch. Then, make your way back to Great Harbour and finish up with a drink at Foxy's before catching the fery back.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Sounds good thank you!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM

I agree the ferry is the most practical. But, your best snorkeling will be on St. John, by far. Have not been to Soggy Dollar but Foxy's is an experience yet a unique bar is like another to us and in Cruz Bay you will find similar places.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM

If you are looking for a day sail and snorkeling, then the ferry obviously wouldn't be the best pick. If you just want to go to JVD for the day, the ferry works great. We have done this twice. The ferry leaves at 8:30am but you may or may not have to clear customs on West End Tortola before heading for Jost. We were pleasantly surprised not to have to stop on Tortola our 2nd trip. We were still there by 10:00am largely due to the ferry itself leaving late. We were there by 9:00am last time.

I think it is more about visiting a great beach on JVD than a great bar and White Bay wins hands down. There is more to White Bay than the Soggy Dollar (although I love the SD). Be sure to go to Seddy's and hike over the rocks to Ivan's. New stairs built which are the best, but still need shoes. BTW, Foxy has been battling vocal cord issues, so hasn't performed in a while. This place seems to be more happening at night. Like bosoco mentioned, you could tack Foxy's onto either end of your day trip if you take the ferry. I don't personally recommend that walk from Great Harbor to White Bay for a day trip unless you are extremely energetic. The hills are steep and you will be wasting precious "limin" time. The taxis are waiting when the ferry arrives and it is $5pp to White Bay. You should arrange for a pick up to make the ferry back and allow time if you want to do Foxy's on the back half. That ferry does leave at 3:00pm sharp.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you All!