Search

Grenada questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grenada questions

Heading to Grenada in two weeks. We'll only be there for two days and are planning on spending the bulk of our time relaxing at the hotel beach, but we'd really like to see St. George's of course.

Is it more logical to take a taxi into town or to rent a car? If so, what are some recommended car agencies?

What about places in St. George's to see? Any shops not to miss? Other than spices what should we consider bringing back (especially local crafts)?

Has anyone had issues bringing back spices via US customs?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM

Where are you staying? Best not to take a car to St. George's as it can be quite trafficky. Take a taxi, or take the bus. The local bus are fun and inexpensive, and you get to experience some local flavor.

I suggest taking perhaps a half day tour with a tour guide.

Don't forget to bring back Grenada chocolates! Everyone who has ever gone and not brought enough back has regretted it.

No issues bringing back spices. We always declare them on the form but we've never been stopped.

Enjoy Grenada, my favorite place!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Yes, Mymoosie is right, bring back lots of chocolates!!!

Along with St George, I would recommend spending a couple of hours at the Aquarium for lunch and a swim and snorkel. Very lovely and the best Pina Colada ever!

Peace, Greenie
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions! We're staying at the Grenadian.
I've read about the chocolate company but didn't even consider bringing back much - good gift idea.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:52 AM
RAB

St. George's is a pretty town, and there are some old buildings, the fort, etc. to see but not much shopping except for the market. If you don't want to try a local bus, take a taxi, but I would not recommend renting a car just for St. George's, as the driving there is not a fun experience. As someone recommended, you should consider an island tour; it is a very attractive place with lots more than just the beach and St. Georges.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM

I agree with the others--take a taxi or the bus to the market in St. George's and then wander around. I really like the shop Tikal for buying local crafts, books, etc.

Nope, no problem bringing spices.

How is it that you're only in Grenada for two days? Are you in transit to another island? If you had more time there are a ton of things that I'd recommend, but with two days, including a trip to the market, you'll already be pretty busy. Don't forget to buy a few things from the beach vendors on Grand Anse--you can buy spice necklaces or regular jewelry from them.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM

One more thing, chocolates are least expensive at the grocery stores. If you plan to get a lot. Otherwise, not worth it to do a special stop at a grocery store just to pick up chocolates. You can find them at other stores.
Can you tell I love the chocolates?!
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:38 AM

Since you only have 2 days to see this wonderful island I would suggest a tour with Mandoo. If you tell him what you are interested in I'm sure he will set up something accordingly.
www.grenadatours.com
www.caribbeantravelforums.com
Enjoy!
PS loved the Aquarium
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

We're only there for two days because of family schedules and vacation time - we could only manage four consecutive days this spring. The first day we arrive early evening and the last day we depart around noon, but at least we're left with two full days of fun and frolic.

One more question - does anyone know whether we can catch the bus near the Grenadian & where it might be?