GRAND LIDO JAMAICA

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GRAND LIDO JAMAICA

Hello,

I've finally picked my destination for our trip in Dec. 2005. I'm trying to get a deal and have asked you great people for advise but havent' had any as of yet.

Has anyone just got back from Grand Lido Negril Resort and Spa (not Braco) recently. I'd love to know how it is? What the rooms are like? The beach and food...any and all info would be wonderful...thanks

Luisa
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

anyone
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:21 AM

Hi Luisa, didn't respond because our trip wasn't recent. We were there about 6-7 years ago. I don't remember enough about the food or rooms to give you specifics, but I do recall we were happy enough with both. We loved the beach. Overall, it was a great time and I'd recommend GL.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

IRabbit,

Thanks for your response. That was quite awhile ago. I know they renovated in 2003 so hopefully the rooms are not old and worn.

If anyone else just got back or has been there recently your input would be great..thanks

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 08:57 AM

Luisa,
We stayed at GLN in Jan 2000 (room 2075) & then again in Aug 2003 (room 2066) (after the room renovations). From our 1st to 2nd visits, they got all new furniture in the rooms, new curtains & re-did the bathrooms. The 1 thing that I preferred from the 'old' rooms were the shutters on either side of the french doors (we kept them open every night on our 1st visit & could hear the ocean lapping up) (the shutters are still there, but are just closed & behind the curtains).

We really enjoyed GLN both times -- it's a real class act. Food & service were both great. The new oriental restaurant was just being built on our last trip there, so I can't comment on that (the Munasan restaurant at GLB was very good).

I have some pics of the 'new' rooms if you're interested (in 'Grand Lido Negril--Aug 2003' folder):

http://photos.yahoo.com/jmrperotto

Jackie
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jackie,

Thanks so much for your response and for sharing the pics. They are great!
I didn't see any pics of the interior of the room though.

We just purchased a super select room from Expedia. I'm a bit worried that they will put us in a really old mouldy room. I'm hoping maybe a nice front desk person will upgrade us but I really doubt it.

Is there any secrets to getting an upgrade. I know some people get them free...there must be a secret.

Did you do the manicure and pedicure? How was the bus ride over. I'm thinking of hiring a taxi so we don't have to make all the stops. Do you think it's worth it?

Well your answers would be great...thanks again Jackie

Luisa
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Luisa,
My 'Grand Lido Negril-Aug 2003' album has some room pics toward the end of the album (GLN.Rm2066....). The GLN album from Jan 2000 doesn't have any room pics of the 'old' rooms -- I wasn't as camera-crazy then as I am now !!

Both times at GLN, we just booked the lowest room level & they gave us rooms overlooking the Clothing Optional beach area. For our 1st time there, there those rooms were not an upgrade. For our 2nd time there, they had made those rooms a higher room level, but they still put us over there (at my request). We liked being on that side better since those rooms are alot closer to the ocean (& we always spent our days at the CO pool/beach). I don't think any of the roooms there are moldy (neither of our rooms there had the moldy smell we've had at other resorts).

We've done the included mani/pedicures at all of the Lido resorts & they were nice. I've never actually had one when I'm not away at a resort, so I can't compare to how they are at home.

Our bus rides were fine (1st time was 1hr & 20 min -- 2nd time was 1hr & 10 min) (that sure beats the almost 2hr ride to Ocho Rios!!). The drivers do tend to drive fast if you're in a smaller van, but if you're in a bigger van/bus, then they can't go that fast. A taxi probably wouldn't get you there much faster & why pay since the transfers are included. You (& anyone else on your van/bus) will probably only be going to Grand Lido Negril, unless they put some Hedonism II ppl on there (but GLN & H2 share the same driveway so it's not really out of the way). It's not like in Cancun where you make tons of stops at the hotels !! On our 1st trip to Jamaica, the thing that threw me at 1st was that they drove on the 'wrong' side of the road !! Once you get used to that, then you have to get used to the cows/goats/pedestrians in the road !! Once you get used to that, then everything is OK !!

Feel free to ask more questions. Have a great trip !! We're going to be right next door to GLN in January, at Couples Negril (we hope that CN is so great that GLN doesn't taunt us from next door) !!

Jackie

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jackie,

Thanks so much for the details. Sometimes its hard to get an answer. I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at GLN. (no mold is always good)

I've heard on another forum that Couples Negril is in the same category as GLN and I've heard really good stuff. I've even heard they beat GLN hands down with their pools. So that's good.

We know the pool at GLN is not the greatest but hopefully the beach makes up for it.

I think we are just going to stick with the inclusive transportation. I was thinking that exactly like how in Cancun you stop everywhere. So that makes me feel better. I got a quote and it's like $80 a person round trip to have a personal taxi. I think I'll save that for tips or art or something.

Do you happen to know where we can find nice art in Negril? Do you venture off?

I'll have to check your pics again.
Are all the rooms suites at GLN? Do they have a sunken living area with couch and tv? I'm so confused. I know they have one bedrooms and that's an upgrade. I'm not really sure if they have room and junior suites or if they are all junior suites. It would be lovely to get an upgrade but I guess I won't hold my breath.

Take care!thanks again

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:13 AM

Luisa,
I have to say that we have never ventured off of the resorts in Jamaica (the sand gravity (a phrase I'm borrowing from another board) is just too strong !! ). So, I can't comment on the shopping thing.

All of the rooms at GLN are suites -- either Junior Suites (the regular rooms) or One Bedroom Suites. Our Junior Suites both times had the sunken area (it's only 2 steps down)(you can see it in my room pics) w/ a love-seat sized couch a cocktail table & a desk (the CD player was on the desk). All of the rooms at GLN have TVs. Our TV was on the dresser right across from the bed, not down in the living area, but you could turn it to face there if you wanted.

Yes, both pools are small at GLN & have no swim-up bars, but that would not stop me from returning there. The main (textile) beach there is beautiful w/ nice clear water.

I would definitely save your $160 for the private transfers & just go on the provided transfers. They're really not that bad at all.

Just another thought --- we've used the included laundry/dry cleaning every time we've been at a Lido and have had no problems at all (sometimes the laundry is back the same day!!). On all of our vacations, I always get my outfit that I wore down on the plane cleaned & wear that back home again (one less outfit to fit into my over-full suitcase !!).

Jackie
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:08 AM

Luisa,
I just saw on another thread that you're back from GLN. So....how did you like it ?? What room did you end up in ?? Did you like the food ??

Jackie
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jackie,

All I can say is "WOW".
We loved it...loved it....loved it
I was getting a tad bit paranoid because I had visions of alot of partying and nudity..hehe!!
We are used to staying at high end places..and I started to think it may be old and worn.
But it was wonderful. Very clean..that makes up for the room not being brand new.
We ended up on the very end of the resort past the c/o beach in room 2087. It was soooo quiet and nice. The view was blocked by a tree but no a problem. We didn't have a safe in our room so they ended up moving us a few doors down to 2080 and the view was amazing. I mean you could see the sea from bed just breathtaking. And it was still a block down from the c/o beach. Very quiet. I noticed all the rooms are pretty much the same. We loved the shower...I'm going to need to install lots of jets here at home...hehe!
The food was great. Couldn't ask for more. We were able to just relax the entire trip. The service is top notch. The people are so friendly. My husband struck up a conversation with lots of the staff and they are all so nice. You just have to talk to them and they will chat up a storm. Wonderful place. I can't say enough about it!!!!!

Take care!
Luisa
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Glad you enjoyed it, Luisa !! I just knew you would !!

Jackie