COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

secrets capri

Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

secrets capri

any more recent visitors to the above resort?????...leaving on 12/18/03 and company assures us of no problems, but previous posts were bad!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Was at Secrets Capri with 2 other couples 12/5 to 12/9 and all of us absolutely loved it. The resort is gorgeous and as far I could tell, almost completely finished. Saw a few workers, but never saw construction going on or heard any banging, etc.

Rooms were very spacious with nice sized bathrooms & closet space, stocked mini bar everyday with beer, sodas & bottled water. Large balconies with 2 chairs & table. Twice daily maid service- morning & evening turn down.

Ate at all the restaurants except Oceania & loved all of them. Humitsi was great (ate there twice) & Capri (Italian) was also excellent. We got to dinner right at 6:30 pm when they opened so we were sat right away. If you wait until the 7:30-8:30 rush you may have to wait a while. The service in the restaurants was fairly fast, we had to wait a couple of times but nothing too bad. The waiters always made sure our drinks were full, so that kept us happy. The Riveria was good for a buffet breakfast & lunch. You can also order from a menu in the Riveria. We had one problem with room service- one night they apparently lost our order and didn't come for an hour, so we just told them nevermind, but every other time it was fast (15-30 min.)

Beach is beautiful, but rocky bottom when trying to swim. Pool was nice but verrry cold. The 2nd day we were there they turned on the heaters and that helped a lot. Nice lounge chairs at pool & nice mats in pool to float on. Waiter service at beach & pool was always pretty fast.

Nice spa & gym. I got a massage & enjoyed it but another person with us got a "deep tissue" and said it wasn't that great.

Everyone was always so helpful & always smiling. Overall, I thought it was a wonderful experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Dear Gabeck: Planning a honeymoon in June. Am interested in the different rooms; i.e. Delux accommodations vrs. Jr. Suites.
Also, do you know the approximate demensions? What is their "garden view"?
What type room did you stay in and would you recommend anything?

Any feedback will be apprecreciated!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 12:28 PM

We stayed in a garden view run of the house room, but we still had a limited view of the ocean. I would definitely splurge on your honeymoon and get an ocean view. The garden view is just trees and some of the entrance road. The rooms were very spacious, but I couldn't give you the exact dimensions, maybe the resort can tell you how many square feet are in a standard room & a junior suite. The rooms all have 10 foot ceilings, canopy king sized beds, large armoir with tv & mini bar, table & 2 chairs. Balcony was very large with table & 2 chairs. Double vanity in bathroom, large shower with glass door, separate toilet room, and jacuzzi (only big enough for 1 though). Everything is marble is bathroom & entire room has marble floor.

One of the couples with us got a jr suite and it was not much bigger than our room. The only thing different was a small sitting area with a sofa.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:14 AM

Gabeck, thanks for the great report, we are going in Feb and can't wait. I am especially interested in what they have on their menus, what types of foods? lobster? shrimp? lots to chose from? How are the bars? Lots of stools to sit at? My husband likes to mingle with the other guests at the bars. Thanks JulieR
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:42 AM

gabeck we are going in jan and that was one of the reasons we choose this resort was for the heated pool. after they turned on the heater then was the water nice to swim in? I usually bring my own floats but you said they already have them there to use is that correct? thanks
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 08:14 AM

Julie- yes the restaruants had a lot to choose from. There is an Italian place with all types of pastas, etc., Japanese Steakhouse with a good menu plus a sushi bar, we never made it to the Oceania which is the seafood place. The place on the beach & by the pool (can't remember name) had sandwiches, fajitas, soups, nachos, fries, etc.- good for lunch. The Riveria had a good buffet for breakfast & lunch. The bars are pretty roomy and I saw that a lot of guests mingle upstairs in the main lobby before dinner (just outside the cigar bar). The pool bar had a lot of seats in the water and also up top by the pool.

Towerlady- yes, once they turned the heater on the pool was nice. Before that it was too cold- there was no one in the water. The have these nice blue "floating mats" all around the pool. You can float in the pool or rest it on a headrest at the edge of the pool in just a couple of inches of water to stay cool.
Old Dec 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Dear Gabeck, We are booked at Secrets Capri in January. This will be our first time in Mexico and first exposure to an all inclusive plan. Could you tell us the what would be the proper tipping at this resort, for instance when you get a dinner served in one of the restaurants how do you tip?Your response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:22 PM

This is a long, but I think a fair, review. Overall, the resort was pretty, the
staff tried hard, the food was very good for an all inclusive, except for a bad salad--read on... But...there were some issues that management did not correct and could have--I hope someone finds this
useful if they encounter similar scenarios.

We spent the second half of our honeymoon at Secrets Capri. 1) We were given a room with the worst view in
the resort--the back of the decorative cement wall
(room 401). Despite following up on management's
suggestion to ask (which we did, politely and
consistently every day for 7 days--we were even willing to pay for an upgrade if there were a room available) for another room,
ANY room, we stayed where we were. The managers simply
didn't respond or return our calls. The message light
blinked our entire stay and no one could seem to
figure out how to turn it off. These issues alone
wouldn't have been such a big deal and we could have
shrugged it off as bad luck, if we didn't experience
several other instances in which the managers
displayed their lack of training and desire to please
their customers: 2) My husband called the front desk
to notify the manager after a Secrets employee ignored
the "do not disturb" light, entered our room, ignored
the obvious roaring sound of the jacuzzi bathtub, and
walked in on me in the tub. (husband was in the gym at
the time). A manager found the employee and came to
the room to apologize and to replace the robes that
were missing from our room for 3 days (those would
have been very helpful at the time!) You think that
might have escalated our room change request to a
higher priority, but no... 3) There was a worm in my
salad at the Japanese restaurant (which otherwise had
very good food and good service.) I told the waiter,
and the manager came over to apologize. I didn't
scream or make a big deal of it, it's salad and
sometimes that happens, I guess, but then the cook
came over (while we were still eating!) and asked me
to describe, in detail, what the worm looked like. I
finally suggested to the manager that offering us and
our dinner companions a bottle of wine would be a nice
gesture. To his credit, he did comply, but why did I
have to ask? 4) Mini bar--Even generous tipping daily
(actually, we generously tipped throughout the whole
trip, the staff usually deserves it) didn't encourage
someone to replace its contents. We left a note with
our tip asking for a refill. Nothing. Then, one lucky
day, we got a fridge full of water and nothing else.
Had to call front desk (we never saw the concierge on
our floor) three times to ask, "mas Coronas, por
favor." 5) Dinnertime. Japanese restaurant closed.
Steak and Seafood house were supposed to be open, but
were not because something "happened" to the kitchens
in the building. That left room service (my husband
thought it was ok, I wasn't crazy about it, and one
night our midnight snack just never showed up), or the
Riviera (with a fixed menu that centered on lamb that
unfortunate evening, which we don't eat.) The Italian
restaurant (very good food, excellent service) was due
to close at its regular time and was not taking any
more names for dinner that night because of the
overflow. When we went to ask the manager if he could
help us get in a restaurant or if he would keep the