Search

Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations?

I'm pulling together a trip very quickly to Costa Rica. This site and this forum have been terrific so far in helping me. I'm now just stuck on finding good suggestions for a place to stay in Monteverde or Santa Elena? It'll be for only one or two nights.

Also, anyone have thoughts on good places in Montezuma?

I'm traveling alone so I'd like it to be more social than solitary. Of course this doesn't mean I need a spring breaker's party happening outside the door. Just to be around fellow travelers would be nice.

Thank you!!!

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Check your other post. If you are going to Montezuma, definitely skip Monteverde. . you will need the extra travel time!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Monteverde--we stayed at the Hotel Fonda Vela and loved it. Excellent restaurant, helpful and attentive staff.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Message: We spent an afternoon in Montezuma. (4days in Santa Teresa, so we drove to Montezuma to do the waterfall) We loved Montezuma and next time we visit the Nicoya Peninsula, we will probably go there for a few days. Seems to be kind of a happenin' little town, but not too much. The beach seemed a little hard to swim in because of the rocks, but it might have been better a little further down. A variety of accommodations there. Very colorful, pretty town
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:10 PM

You might want to stay closer to town if you are traveling alone so you can get out and walk around and talk to people. That is one of the things I love about that area. Everyone is just great. A fun place but more backpacker is the Pension Santa Elena. When I was there, there were people of all ages but the majority were younger. They do have private rooms with private baths. A nicer place would be the Heliconia. El Sapo Dorado is another good place with beautiful views. Hotel Fonda Vela is very nice but is quite a ways out and therefore much more isolated.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Since time is so short, I'll probably be going out to all the recommendations and just seeing what will be available.

Has anyone done the jeep/boat/horse combo tour from La Fortuna to Monteverde? And if so, what time did you reach Monteverde? Also, is there a particular tour company you used? I DO NOT want one that is abusive to the horses (obviously) I've heard from others that there are good tour operators who treat their animals well, do not overextend them, etc. But then I've heard of horror stories where the horse drops dead!

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 08:46 AM

I would contact Sabines smiling horses.
It is a beautiful trip and about 3 hrs.
Monteverdeinfo.com can set this up for you for the jeep/boat/jeep or jeep/boat/horse. This is actually the quickest way to get up there. For people who want to do this but have a car, they offer a driver to get your car up to Monteverde. Saves you the longer, rougher trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suzie - I think that's definitely how I'll go.