Grand Cayman Trip Report

Search

Grand Cayman Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman Trip Report

Just got back from a week on Grand Cayman. We (my sister, her husband, my husband and me) stayed at a very comfortable condo next to the Kaibo Yacht Club on the Northside and rented a car with McCurley's. We went for the company and the snorkeling, so we were in heaven, snorkeling twice a day most days. The south side of the island looks like a war zone with rubble everywhere, but the North side is mostly rebuilt. Rum Point restaurant, only open for lunch, has good food and a great location. We went to Georgetown twice and found that the food is good at both the Lobster Pot and especially at the Wharf. Favorite snorkel spot in Georgetown area was Eden Rock--we went off the site of Eden Rock Dive Shop and were able to use their shower and lockers. The deep water reefs were fantastic. Favorite site on Northside was opposite the Queen's Monument. We went to Stingray city sandbar and Coral Gardens TWICE with Captain Jimmy, booked with Red Sail Sports. The trip from the Northside was short and easy. (the first time I was a little scared and didn't enjoy it as much as the second time; also husband forgot the camera and HAD to go back to take pictures! We got more in-the-water time the second time.) The green moray eel at Coral Gardens was worth the boat fare, not to mention the magical experience with the sting rays. We had an underwater case for our digital camera so got LOTS of pictures. We then viewed them on the TV in the condo at night and used the Reef Fish book we brought with and tried to identify the fish we had seen. Very fun. We were disappointed that the submarines did not have their night dives going yet, the Botanical Garden and Mastic Trail were closed, and the St. Pedro house was also closed. However, when we considered how devastating the hurricane was and how far the Caymanians have come, we didn't mind. As is usual with my husband and me, there was hotter-than-usual weather when we were there, but since we were in the water most of the time, we didn't mind that, either. We Seattle weather wimps snorkeled in wet suits (and for sun protection), but my sister and husband, made of sterner stuff, just wore a tee shirt and were fine. What did I forget, snorklesue?? After all the ups and downs of our planning, we had a great time, and only one oops of driving on the right instead of the left, with no harm done! Thanks to all the help from the posters on this forum for great information.
Sally and Randy
Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 03:40 AM

Hi SnRSeattle,
What was the name of the condos where you stayed next to the Kaibo? When you were at the restaurant at RumPoint, did you happen to notice if any work was going on at the Retreat condos next door? That's where we always stay, and I haven't been able to find out much info about how their rebuilding is coming along. Thanks for any info. Glad you had a nice time and thanks for posting a trip report.
Sandy
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Sandy, we had originally booked in to a condo at the Retreat, also, but took the one we did because it was owned/managed by the same person (www.tancor.com). They were very nice and accommodating and answered endless emails after Ivan. There was a lot of construction going on at the Retreat, but they were no where near to being done. Someone told us that they were doing it right there by taking out the sheetrock so that there wouldn't be any mold in the future. The place was gutted, but looked very busy. The restaurant was closed for dinner to our dismay, but the beach bar was good for lunch.
Sally
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 03:29 AM

Sally,
Thank you so much for the info. We were hoping to go back in November, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. I did check out the site you gave me and that condo does look very nice and a great price. Thanks again,
Sandy
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 04:52 AM

Sandy, that condo at Kaibo is owned be the folks who used to have the unit above ours at North Pointe.
Sue