Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman or St. Kitts

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Diane

Although I love St. John,I am planning to explore more of the Carribean. Would greatly appreciate thoughts from anyone who has traveled to Grand Cayman and St. Kitts.<BR><BR>I love snorkeling, diving, good food beautiful beaches and natural scenic views.<BR><BR>Your input would be most appreciated.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Meryl

I am thinking of going to St. John. I've been to St. Croix and loved it but am looking for an island with more activities. I am also considering Grand Cayman or St. Kitts so I look forward to reading replies to your message. I want to do some good snorkeling. Would St. John be a good place for me? Thanks.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Nancy

Hello guys,<BR>These islands are all quite different from each other.<BR>Caymans are more "Americanized" and active. Diving is great there. (Caymans are also very expensive - food, lodging, etc.) Definitely not the most scenic.<BR>St. John is very laid back and visually quite beautiful. Undeveloped and tranquil. The snorkeling is very very good on St. John.<BR>St. Kitts is very beautiful, but the snorkeling there is not the best, nor is the diving. Lots of neat things to do and see out of the water though.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:25 PM
Diane

The snorkeling at St. John is incredibly beautiful. Cruz Bay has some good restaurants and 'crafty' type shops. In addition, much of the island is a national park and its natural beauty is unspoiled. I love the island for its natural beauty.<BR> When traveling there, I always begin my stay with several days on St. Thomas where there is much to do, and completing my trip with the serenity of the gorgeous beaches of St. John. You may wish to give that combination a try.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Marla

Look into Qualie Beach Club in Nevis. Fodors online--"User Rating" by hotel or Where2Stay.com for travelers reviews. Very sports oriented small resort.

Old May 6th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Scott

I have been to both GC & St Kitts. We went to St Kitts on our honeymoon, and liked it a lot. The site seeing is definitely better here than on GC, but it's still not what I would class as 'amazing'. The beaches in St Kitts although very nice, just weren't as nice as Seven Mile Beach in GC. The people in St Kitts were very friendly, but you will be exposed to some poverty there, (some folks have a tough time with this). The snorkeling & diving were good on St Kitts, but not in the same league as GC.<BR><BR>Over all, we preferred GC for many reasons. The snorkeling & diving were the best we have ever seen, simply world class. Seven Mile beach in GC, was nicer that any beach we found in St Kitts. You will see VERY little poverty on GC if any at all. There are no street vendors, or beggers....which is illegal on GC. GC is much more americanized, with mini-malls, and fast food chains. Although we don't like this part of GC, it really didn't take away from our experience there, as once you set foot on the beach, you forget all baout the busier, more conjested areas. One of our favorite parts about GC is the dining. Although many of the restaurants are VERY expensive, the food & service are outstanding, Truely some of the best restaurants we have ever dined in. <BR><BR>To sum it all up:<BR><BR>St Kitts= Better Scenery, less built up/crowded, more affordable.<BR><BR>Grand Cayman= Better snorkeling/diving(by far), better beach, much better restaurants, one of the safest islands in the caribbean, very expensive (not as bad in off season).<BR><BR>GC is the only island we have been back to twice, and will be back many times.