Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Grand Cayman: Need suggestions-good beaches,snorkeling,etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Jackie

We are going on a cruse and stopping at Grand Cayman for one day. I cannot get very much info on this Island. Anyone been there that could advise on a good snorkeling location and/or a great beach that is on the quite side? Would appreciate any info.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:34 AM
Zoe

Jackie, Our family just returned from Grand Cayman's seven mi. beach. We were there frm. June 4-11. Stayed @ Discovery Point Club. Absolutely perfect for the type of vacation we wanted. Go to the North end of 7 mile beach (on the West side I guess you could say- of the entire island)...to Cemetary Beach. It is public(as all the beaches there are) and it is a moderate swim out to the reef. I was a little concerned at first but it is so easy. The water was warm and calm (later weather and water got rougher as a tropical depression came in from Jamaica)... We saw so much there at C. Bch. We went swimming w/a huge Southern stingray, sea turtles(not huge but good size)., saw a good size green moray eel, and the most amazing fish.I was disappointed in the lack of colorful coral...I guess most of it is dying ? However it didnt mean a lack of fish, etc. It is beautiful and shallow and you can keep track of where you are w/the current by keeping a focal point (marker) on the beach. Swim all along that expanse on either end - the snorkeling is great! The beach is beautiful...kinda reminded me a little of Bermuda w/a pink cast due to coral , and it isnt powdery soft all over as some have said...some places it is coarse...and rocky but we loved it and thought it was more interesting. The other snorkling site if you want to also see some of Geargetown, is Smith's Cove. It is on the right as you head away from Georgetown going South or East( away from seven mile beach. The cove itself reminded me of Bermuda...very picturesque and I think they have restrms and a place where you could change unlike Cemetary Beach. Either has great snorkeling but Smith's Cove would allow for some time in town too. Have a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:57 AM
Scott

Jackie,<BR><BR>There is a spot just south of town where you get off the ship called Eden Rock dive shop. They have a ladder that is free to use, and there is a deep reef right off shore here. This is by far my favorite place to snorkel on GC. Be prepared to see a ton of fish here. Although Cemetary reef is good, this was the most breath-taking. You could actually hit Cemetary in the morning, hang on the beach for a while, and then leave a couple hours to do Eden Rock right before you have to re-board. You will not be disapointed

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:44 PM
Zoe

Scott- my husband was frustrated w/us cus we didnt want to snorkel there, but it wasnt a very pretty setting. He had heard it was good there also- he ended up going to the Calli wreck....which also didnt appeal to me for the same reason. I wanted the whole package. Sounds like my loss; oh well we will just have to go back...

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Vicky

Hi Jackie,<BR><BR>I would recommend going to Sting Ray city to snorkel. It is a nice swallow stop (white sand bottom) and it's neat to swim with & feed the sting rays. I think they typically stop at 2 others sites to snorkel too. We were just in the Cayman's in March 2002. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Argie

We just got back from a cruise that included Grand Cayman too. I would definitely suggest taking one of the cruise excursions to Stingray City. Ours included a stop at a snorkel spot too. We got frustrated with a lot of the excursions because we felt that we didn't get to see the island or the cultures...but the Stingray City excursion was the best one we did. They take you out a mile or two on a boat to a sandbar in the sea where the water is waist-high and clear. There are a lot of tourist boats out there, of course, but it isn't too disturbing.<BR><BR>The stingrays were amazing. There were just tons of stingrays everywhere and they were so graceful. If you have any inclination to want to see something like that, do it! It was just a really neat experience.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Vicki Wheaton

Jackie, I don't know when you're coming to the Cayman Islands, but I live here and might be able to help.<BR><BR>If you haven't left for your cruise yet, email me back and I'll see what I can recommend.<BR><BR>Vicki..