Grand Cayman dining

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman dining

OK Fodor friends,
Give me your favorite dining places on Grand Cayman from the sandy floor lunch spots to the casual unique dinner restaurants.
Post hurricane info please.
Thanks in advance, island_breeze.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Etiquette wise we regulars here wold normally ask people to a) give some more specific guidance and b) ask people to do a bit more research first

Start with www.caymanrestaurants.com for some ideas, plus a search of this board will yield quite a lot of ideas.

Starting with the top spots to hit, my favourite three (off the top of my head) are :
- Ristorante Papagallo (quality Italian restaurant, thatched roof, great ambience and wine list)
- Lighthouse - recently reopened after major renovations and improvements post Ivan. Great location (tables out of the deck overlooking the ocean), quality food and great service.
- Grand Old House. The oldest restaurant in Cayman.... and still one of the best.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM

We really enjoyed The Wharf for dinner; we had lunch at the Hyatt and the Westin - a big overpriced but very nice atmosphere; and we loved Coconut Joe's for breakfast - very inexpensive compared to most places on the island.
We also had lunch at Rum Point - beautiful location!!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Sooorrryyy Cayman Tom,
How much more specific does a sandy floor lunch spot get???
No, I'm not a regular to the site, however, my yearly Carib vacations have been well rounded by the info I get from fellow travelers and their personal experience.
Tell me what is available at the Reef.
i_b.

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Your question was absolutely OK ( and specific enough ) .... This "regular " is neither offended , nor feels the need to chastise a newbie for a perfectly fine question . After all ... that's what your doing isn't it , reasearch .
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Whoops sorry... but sandy floor lunch spots to casual unique dinner reservations basically runs the complete gamut from one end of the spectrum to the other.

We have over 100 restaurants in Cayman, we are really spoiled for choice on an island of 45,000 people... so tough to narrow it down !

As regards sandy floor lunch spots....can't really think of many, but if you mean outdoor lunch spots.... the list shrinks, but if you consider beach bars etc how about :
- Sunset House - the world famous "My Bar"
- Calico Jacks on the beach (by public beach)... floor is in fact...sand

To be honest, I can't really think of too many outdoor lunch spots.. I'm drawing a bit of a blank.. hmm.. need food... can't think on an empty stomach... will be back later !
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Big smiles Tom ....lol !!!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:39 AM

As far as sandy floor lunch spots go, you can't beat the laid back atmosphere of the Wreck Bar at Rum Point. Barefoot dining under the Casuarina Pines followed up by some time in one of the hammocks is about as soul recharging as it gets for me. Another nice casual lunch spot is Hammerheads in Georgetown. I also like the patio and beachfront bar at the Reef Resort on the East End. You can make a day out of this and take advantage of some of the "fun stuff" offered by eco ventures right there on the beach. Oh yeah, another classic beachfront casual experience is the the Royal Palms (Reef Grill??). Avoid this location if there are alot of cruise ships in town. I'm partial to the swim-up beach bar in front of the old Treasure Island Resort. Fun place where locals and tourists mix it up - good fun! This place can get really busy on Sundays.

For a casual unique dinner experience I love the Thai Restaurant (I believe its Thai Orchid??) located in The Queens Court on West Bay Road. The Irish Bar can be a fun, casual place to take in some Irish/Brittish pub fare while downing pints with some expats. Always football (soccer), rugby or cricket on the tube here.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Tom, how's this q,
where the locals eat that would not be offended by a non assuming tourist...
away from the cruise ship groups...
special to GC, like casual fine dining under coconut trees...
funky beach lunch cafes...
I'm not asking for a stuffy conceige/manager op, just a few unique to the island places.
i_b
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks greatful_diver and beth,
your feedback is most helpful.
Sounds like you enjoyed your stay.
island_breeze.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Ok.. if you want something really unique... try Rolands Garden.. if you look it up on caymanrestaurants.com, there is a great write up on there by Barefoot Man.

No menus, no prices.. just pay what you think the meal is worth.. and it is GREAT !