Grand Cayman: Capt. Marvin question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - has anyone done Capt. Marvin's all day tour that includes Sting Ray, 2 other snorkels, conch dive and lunch? If so - how was it - worth doing or stick with the half day? What is involved with the conch dive?

Thanks, sue
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Hi Sue,
We did the all day tour with Captain Marvin in June and had an excellent time. We were very lucky in that there were only about 10 people on the boat so we had lots of room to spread out and relax. Saw some other boats at Sting Ray City that were VERY crowded. Had 3 crew members-Capt Marvin himself (in his 90's I think!!) one of his sons and a crew member named Carl-all very pleasant.

We did not do the Conch dive as it was off season. We stopped at Coral Gardens first to snorkel (fair to good snorkeling) and then went to Kaibo for lunch-decent food provided by the boat including marinated conch. Ate on the beach at picnic tables. There was also a bar to purchase drinks and a small gift shop.

After lunch we went to Sting Ray City just as the other boats were leaving-we were the only boat there and had a blast!! It was one of the highlights of our trip.

We made another snorkeling stop at the Barrier reef (better snorkeling)-saw a huge green eel and a sand shark, as well as, assorted fish. Then we headed back to the dock.

They provided transportation to and from our hotel. Given that it was an all day trip and included lunch, we felt like it was a very good value.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Laurie
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:16 PM
owa

Hi, We will be on GC in 10 days. Did you do the Barrier

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:18 PM
owa

Sorry, accidently sit post.

Did you do the BR with Captain Marvin also? Thanks, Owa

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:19 PM
owa

Oh my, I'd better quit. Hit not sit. Owa

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Owa,
Yes, the full day tour includes: 1) Conch dive in season, 2) barrier reef and coral gardens for snorkeling, 3) lunch on the beach and, of course, 4) sting ray city sandbar.

I hope if you go that your experience is as good as ours...we really enjoyed the day.

I never did get to post a trip report but we stayed at the Sunshine Suites just after they reopened (loved our stay there) and moved to the Westin for 2 days (highly recommend Sunday brunch). We also went scuba diving (shore dives with Eden Rock and Divetech).

Have a great trip-let me know if I can help with other questions.
Laurie
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM
owa

Thanks, Laurie. Sounds like a good trip to me. I'm going to try and keep a diary this trip to be better organized for the trip report I intend to post. I've said it before--I can't believe all the help given on this message forum! Thanks again, Owa

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:49 AM

We went with Capt Marvin in January and it was great. The best about his boats is he doesn't overload them. Some of the other boats at Stingray city were just packed. There was a local man our our C.M. trip who had visitor's down that he was taking on trip and told us that C.M. only ever takes a smaller amount so it is never crowded.