Good restaurants, moderate price on St John?

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Good restaurants, moderate price on St John?

Hello! I guess the title kind of says it all. I've chosen Chateau Bordeaux and Asolare for our "nice dinners" and we'll difinitely hit Skinny Legs and Shipwreck landing (we're staying near Coral Bay). Where else should we go to eat dinner? I'd like to get good fish (tuna, mahi mahi) since we live in the midwest and it will be a treat.

Thanks!
Lisa

Sorry if this is posting twice. I meant to post it on USVI but did general caribbean instead.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Over in the Coral Bay area try Miss Lucy's. In Cruz Bay try Morgan Mangos, Fish Trap and Lime Inn
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 05:45 AM

We would suggest The Lime Inn at Cruz Bay. Its somewhat hard to find, but well worth the effort. Would suggest you make reservations. Enjoy!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:39 AM

My suggestions would be, Lime Inn, Morgan's Mango, Cafe Roma, Fish Trap, Duffy's and definitly Uncle Joe's Barbecue, in the stand across the street from the Post Office. Very inexpensive and delicious. You can take it back and enjoy it at your villa.
I would agree with Miss Lucy's but unfortunately she is closed until November.
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 05:22 PM

I agree with all the above, especially Lime Inn.

But there was also an excellent little breakfast joint in Coral Bay near Skinny Legs. It was called Sputniks and we loved it. I heard it has a new name now though.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:38 AM

Don't miss Stone Terrace. Last year, we found the food to be better at Stone Terrace than our dinner at Chateau Bordeaux. I think Asolare is over priced and overrated, but just my opinion. We travel to STJ annually, and Stone Terrace has become our favorite and has some reasonably priced wines as well. Voyages near Coral Bay is worth a try - pricey but good. We have always enjoyed Fish Trap and not liked the Lime Inn (contrary to many others who like it). We find Lime Inn too crowded, too noisy and just average food on any given night. Shipwreck is fun for lunch or appetizers and the view is wonderful from this open air restaurant. A relatively new restaurant where Ellington's used to be called Zozo's is getting very good reviews although they were out of the first three entrees we ordered last year. The views from Zozos of St. Thomas in the distance are lovely. Enjoy and e'mail me if you have any questions. What a wonderful little island St. John is. If this is your first trip, enjoy but it will not be your last for it is a special place.

Karen
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 06:59 AM

We ate at the Fish Trap and loved it. Reasonably priced and extremely good fish. You can order anything from fish sandwiches to more traditional entrees. All very good.

Casual atmosphere - you sit on a deck - platic deck chairs - we liked it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM

I haven't been to the Lime Inn. We heard mixed reviews when we were there.

Someone mentioned Cafe Roma. The food and service is excellent. You get a lot of food for your money there too. If you are staying somewhere that has a frig, it's great. You will probably have left overs.

Fish Trap is good---still not too cheap.

Woody's is real inexpensive. It's not exactly healthy food, but it is good for what it is.

I still think Asolare is a great choice. It's not a lot of food for the money, but it is excellent food with a romantic view.

I think Miss Lucy's may be closed.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:41 PM

I agree with almost everything Karen posted. And would add that we've called ahead and asked what the "cork charge" was for several places (usually $10) and brought our own bottle of wine!
I would rate: Stone Terrace (upscale, quality); Fish Trap (casual, good quality), Lime inn & Morgan's Mango(busy, fair quality); Joes BBQ (good bang for the buck!); Duffy's (lot's of dancing and partying!); don't remember anything else we tried. Would like to try Asolaire, hear good things...
Remember, nothing's cheap in the Caribbean, unless you buy it at the Star Market in Cruz Bay and make it yourself...