Search

Good Bahamas Local Seafood Restaurant?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Bahamas Local Seafood Restaurant?

Hi,

I've searched and searched for a few true local hide-away seafood restaurant in Bahamas and all I found were 5-star restaurants.

I understand that they're of course well-rated, but I really want to experience what the locals go everyday. I just want simple seafood, some place that doesn't have to be fancy but you can get a simple boiled conch or crawfish without some chef stuffing exotic flavors in.

I'll be in Paradise Island but willing to travel for great seafood (once I figured out how to go from island to island).

Thanks!

Jan
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM

You won't have a problem finding some good places on Nassau and if you want a day adventure, you might think about the Fast Ferry over to Harbour Island, some good restaurants there as well.

On Nassau, there's are several good local spots, like the Poop Deck and the Junkanoo Cafe. You also might try Johnny Canoe's on Cable Beach. There is also a well known cay I think called Arawack Cay or and it's all local small stands with very fresh conch salad, fritters and grouper fingers.

On Harbour Island, try Angela's Starfish restaurant.

The ferry also stops at Spanish Wells on some days and there is a local restaurant there as well.

Hope this helps, have a great trip.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:51 AM

As wantsomesun has said, Arawak Cay, located about a fifteen minute walk from downtown, has several local-owned and operated restaurants. We always make a point of going there for our "conch fix" while in Nassau.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:32 AM

My husband I were in the Bahamas a few years ago and had a very lively and interesting taxi driver who took us from the airport to our hotel. We told him we wanted to experience an authentic Bahamian meal and asked what his favorite restaurant was. He recommended a place called Avery's and suggested that we make a reservation. We went a few nights later and it was a great experience. When we arrived, I was a bit skeptical. The place really didn't have much atmosphere and our table had a piece of looseleaf paper folded in half with the word "reserved" on it. We were served our drinks in jelly jars and each ordered fish... my husband had grouper and I ordered a lobster. They both came with salads to start and veggies on the side. The salad was plain iceberg lettuce and a choice of kraft salad dressings! The plate of veggies that accompanied our entrees were the frozen peas and carrots that usually come with a tv dinner! I have to say, however, that the seafood was FANTASTIC. So fresh! We had a great time and the woman who ran the place had her son give us a lift back to our hotel! We still talk about how delicious the seafood was.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM

The Poop Deck is a great place for fish as well. But, please don't eat the grouper, especially Nassau Grouper, until the population is back to safe levels. The Poop Deck is just east of Potter's Cay and the Paradise Island Bridge on East Bay Street. Robert
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I forgot to mention, for Bahamian style meals, the Conch Fritters across the street from the British Colonial Hotel; Billabongs, an Aussie Pub and Restaurant on Cumberland Street, diagonal and across from Dunkin Donuts; Bahamian Kitchen at Trinity Place off Bay Street for deep authentic Bahamian meals; Green Shutters Pub for genuine English cuisine in a centuries old English Pub; Arawak Cay is a 14 minute walk from downtown Nassau, has a whole village of restaurants and stalls selling fresh Bahamian food; Montegue Gardens on East Bay Street at Waterloo St.; and Cafe Johnny Canoes at Nassau Beach Hotel. Robert
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everybody!

I've printed out this list and also just made a reservation to Poop Deck for tonight, because I am flying there in a few hours!

Thanks again, this is extremely helpful!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:48 AM

the reason the seafood is so fresh at Avery's is that it is caught by us fishermen in Adelaide, not purchased frozen down on Potters Cay.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:41 AM

well it shows! it was a very memorable meal!