Gift Hill

Sep 7th, 2006, 09:57 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Gift Hill

Can anyone tell me about the Gift Hill area of St John? I am looking at the villas there and many appear very nice. Is it a hard drive?
Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM

We stayed in a villa in Gifft Hill in June 05.The area is convient to Cruz Bay and Centerline Road (which takes you to the Northshore beaches). It was a quiet area with beautiful views of Rendevous Bay from the villa we stayed at.

It is a little bit of a steep drive up alot of the roads so I highly recommend a 4WD.

Depending on what time of year that you go...I would highly recommend a FULLY A/C'd villa if it is anytime from April to late September.

Good luck!

Christie
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:14 PM

Gifft Hill is very conveniently located, with easy access to all areas of St. John. I also agree it is a peaceful, quiet area. If you enjoy excercising you can really get a workout running or walking up and down the hills in that area as well. Personally we found it very windy in the evening and we virtually never were able to sit outside for cocktails without everything blowing all over. That may have been the weather the particular March we were there, but I have preferred other locations before and after staying there for that reason. Other than that a great location with fabulous views.
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
MSS
Original Poster

Thanks, we have pretty much narrowed our search down to 2 villas, one is above Great Cruz Bay, and the other is on Gifft Hill. Which is an easier drive and are both areas equally nice?

Thanks!
Sep 9th, 2006, 06:37 AM

MSS,
Great Cruz Bay is more convenient to Cruz Bay not as remote as Gifft Hill.

What is the names of the villas that you are interested in?

Great Cruz Bay is probably an easier drive.

Christie

Sep 9th, 2006, 07:29 AM
MSS
Original Poster

We have pretty much decided on Hawksbill - it is above Great Cruz Bay. Anyone know of it?
Sep 9th, 2006, 12:55 PM

MSS: I've driven by that cluster of villas where Hawksbill is, but I haven't been in it so I have no idea about the security. It is not on the Great Cruz Bay penisula which is where we stayed. I think it is up on the hillside in back of the main road which runs past the Westin and Great Cruz Bay. In fact, it's practically at the edge of Gifft Hill area so there isn't that big of a difference in distance. Also, it's up on the hill so there'll be a bit of windy driving which can hardly be avoided on STJ anyway. The villa looks very nice. I'd make sure you have a full description of the villa and its surroundings. The fact that the villa cluster is managed and possibly owned by one entity bodes well in that the security is similar and they know who's next door. Also, I'd make sure the AC is in good to excellent working order. Don't buy the "wonderful tradewinds" or "cooling ceiling fans" line. Without good AC, it can be uncomfortable for us continental types.
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM
MSS
Original Poster

Thanks, Tuxedocat for the information on villa location! We do have air conditioning in the bedrooms, and that is one reason I wanted a pool vs a hot tub. I think it is unfortunate for what you pay for villas that they don't have air conditioning throughout. Yes, we are going from October 60's and 70's weather to tropical heat, which I love, but also am spoiled and love the comforts of air conditioning. I also didn't realize it was so hard to find a villa that had whole house air!
Sep 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM

MSS: Think of it this way, you're actually getting as much AC in a villa for less than the price of the AC in the hotel. The hotel is only cooling the bedroom too. The problem with cooling an entire house in the tropics is that it is just too expensive. It's also extremely burdensome with all the opening and closing of exterior doors. The electricity prices are going through the roof. Chances are, you won't be staying around the house too much during the day. October is not as hot as the summertime either, and things do cool off a bit in the evenings. As long as you're comfortable while sleeping, I think you'll be fine. The pool will also be convenient day or night. Have a great time.

Search this Thread