Gallows Point unit choice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Counting on Fodor's friends to help with choice of room for this March at Gallow's Point. We are staying only one night before we can get into our beauitful villa at Vida De Mar. The options are Ocean View Lower, Harbor View Upper and Harbor View Lower. If price were not an option (not a big difference for one night) what would you choose for location, etc. on the property. We are 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Harbor view truly does look over Cruz Bay harbor - which can be fun, but noisy with the ferries coming and going. Ocean view will be more peaceful. I would choose that (again).
Melissa
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I agree.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Oops, just read more closely that only the Upper units have 1 1/2 baths, while lower have only 1 bath. With 4 of us staying, maybe upper will be better. I have noticed that sometimes people are disappointed in the age of their units and asked the GP manager if any of the offered units were more recently updated. She replied all are updated regularly. So not sure how to get better unit until we arrive.
Anyway, maybe we won't mind one early Harbor View morning as the rest of our days will be overlooking very quiet Devers Bay!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Thinking more abt it, I do think that with 4 people, you'd be happier in an upper unit-- considerably more room and separation. That half bathroom upstairs, by the way, is really teensy-tiny. And, yes, all the units sure do show age. (We're going back anyway in Sept: 4 days Gallows and 5 days Caneel.)
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

so upper, lower, harbor, or ocean would not necessarily get a more updated room, poss? Are you able to know your exact room assignment in advance? Again this is just a stop for us on our way and really the Cruz Bay location is great for our first night. We were on St John 2 years ago so I am somewhat familiar and we ate at Zozo's (sp?). Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Correct that whether a particular unit has been updated doesn't depend on where it is. Since they're individually owned, I guess folks just do/authorize improvements at whatever pace they choose. Gallows will note a unit preference, though they don't "guarantee." I think we've always received our request. (We like the "position" of unit 3 best-- great view and slightly better privacy.)
We liked Zozo's a lot (not cheap!)
For one night, I don't think you should worry at all abt the condition of the unit; none of them will be bad. I do, though, think you should get an upper unit, given the # of people in your group/
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM

We stayed at Gallow's Point in March and are returning this November. I also wouldn't worry too much about the difference in the appearance of the individual units. I would rather not make a complaint about Gallow's because we really enjoyed our stay but if I had to make one, it would be that the furniture cushions were "tired" and had some stains. I'm not sure about the quality of the sofabed that you would be using. We stayed in 11C in March and will be in 10C in November. They will honor your request if the unit is available. If you decide on a harbor unit, I recommend unit 10 as it is closest to the point and you have ocean views to the left. As you get to the higher harbor unit numbers, you are getting closer to the cemetary. Like poss said, unit 3 ocean view seems to be popular, I believe it juts out a bit for a better view. When you arrive at the ferry dock, go to the end where the taxis are and look for the Gallow's Point taxi. They try to be there when the ferrys arrive. I was trying to locate change to make a call to Gallow's when my husband found them waiting. We were first timers, didn't know what to expect. BTW, check in was an absolute breeze. Maybe 5 minutes. We had dinner one night at Zo-Zo's and while we thought the food was very good, it was not over the top for the price. Great place to have a drink in the bar at sunset though. It doesn't get much mention on this site, but we really liked The Lime Inn for lobster and everything we ordered was excellent too. Guess I got a little of track there. Anyway, enjoy your vacation.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SO much for the info. When I call tomorrow I will inquire about unit 10C (upper harbor view). We ate at Zozo's our first night (Easter actually) on our last visit and would agree that it was the view, not the food that was very special. Have read several great reviews on Lime Inn and will definitely add it as my husband loves lobster. SO much more fun to go back the second time to a location Liek St. John -more relaxed when you know what to expect!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:44 PM

brenandg,

What are your dates? My wife & I will be in 9A from 11/29 to 12/7. 63 days and counting!!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:22 PM

My wife and I (fiance at the time) stayed in 10C back in 2002. We thoroughly enjoyed the unit, location and thought it was nicely furnished. We would definitely go back and request that unit. It is a perfect place for a couple.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 05:23 AM

We stayed in 10C in June for two nights and thought it was nice, but not great. The unit was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The location is excellent and so was the customer service. The people at GP were very nice and extremely helpful when we left some things in the room after we checked out. Housekeeping was not great as there was sand on the cushions on the sofa and the dining chairs, crumpled tissues left on the floor and teenie tiny bugs scuttling around the kitchen counter. Two the dining chairs were broken and were not usable. We did not spend a lot of time in the unit, so these things didn't bug us too much, but it was a bit disappointing. Like you, we were there in route to our villa rental. Having never been to St. John before, it was nice being in town for two nights to get a feel for the place and figure out where the markets and restaurants were.

-Bill
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:15 PM

ScottB
We are going 11/25-12/2, so we have a few days overlapping. Our units are both right by the pool. I remember you saying you would be the ones with the Jimmy Buffett t-shirts and a on. Only 58 more days for us. It is going quick now. Hopefully we will get to meet you and your wife.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Looking forward to it.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:13 PM

tamryn: Just a reminder (so that your husband won't be disappointed). Warm water lobster ("Caribbean" lobster) is not at all like cold water lobster ("Maine" lobster). I like Caribbean lobster ok (and LOVE the Caribbean), but it doesn't hold a candle to Maine lobster (imo)-- a very different beastie.
Have a great vacation! (We enjoyed Lime Inn, by the way.)
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:53 AM

Scott B,
My husband and I will be there on Nov 29 also.
what flight do you come in on?
We are using the private water taxi and would be interested in sharing it.
This is our first time at Gallows, we have been staying at secret harbour for the past five years.
hope to hear from you.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM

Sharon,

USair just chnage our flight, and if I remember correctly, the flight arrives around 4pm. If this works, we would definitely be interested in sharing the cost of the water taxi with you.
You can email me at:
[email protected]
Thanks!!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Dear Gallows Friends-Reposting as we leave Friday for StJ and our first night at Gallows. Have been told we will be in 13C for my family of four. I have emailed a few times as to how we get to Gallows from ferry with our luggage. When we were last on St. John I did not do much in Cruz Bay, so I cannot remember if this is a walkable distance with our roller luggage and carryons. Any help? Thanks!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM
owa

I thought I read on their web site that Gallows will pick you up from the ferry. I'd call them.

Please post your experience at Gallows. Our family of ten has reservations there in August.

Good luck, Owa

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Owa-I will check website. I emailed when I confirmed but they did not address this question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -