Fun things to do in Cuacao

Mar 30th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Fun things to do in Cuacao

My husband and I are planning to travel to Curacao in early June. We would like some suggestions for fun things to do on the island. We will be staying at the Marriott. Are there any secluded beaches? Should we rent a car? Restaurants with great food and views? We both enjoy snorkeling and diving. We aren't interested in group activities.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 30th, 2003, 03:17 PM
CF

Curacao was one of my least favorite islands, but I really enjoyed the floating market and the pontoon bridge in the downtown area. It was colorful and fun.

Mar 30th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

CF, what was it about the island that you didn't like? I think it is always helpful to hear the good and the bad so we know what to REALLY expect.

Thanks
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM

You are going to love the Marriott, it's the nicest place we've stayed so far. We didn't find any secluded beaches but we snorkeled at a few nice ones.Yes you should rent a car, there's so much to do but everything is spread around. The Seaquarium is nice,you should look into that. For a nice view you can go to Fort Nassau,try to get a table by the window. I say this because believe it or not, the oil refineries lit up at night are quite a sight to see. If we didn't get there before it got dark we wouldn't have known what we were seeing were the refineries.I have one last thing to tell you, get yourself a good map because roadsigns aren't one of Curacao's strong points.
Mar 30th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Curacao is our favorite place in the Caribbean! There's a beach called Daaibooi that's great for snorkeling. Don't go there on Sundays though as it gets crowded. There are cruises, trolley tours, good shopping, forts, museums, a national park, the Curacao Liqueur distillery and the Amstel brewery, the seaquarium, hato caves. Lots to do. I would rent a car for at least a couple of days. The roads are good, but the signs aren't. So look at a map before getting in the car. Our favorite restaurant is Bistro Le Clochard. Start out in back at the bar for a great view of the harbor. Belle Terrace is an open air restaurant in an old mansion. Enjoy!!
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:41 PM
CF

Hubs summed it up prety well when he said "If you've never been to a Caribbean Island before you would think it was pretty nice" but having been to many others it just didn't measure up for us. NOTE PEOPLE, I SAID "FOR US". Our hotel had bugs, we had no converters so we couldn't use anything electrical or charge the battery for the cam corder. The literature in the room said the office had converters but when we went for them they acted like we were simple or something.

The beach was eroding badly, the snorkeling was so so, the island itself was dirty with a lot of litter. Just a lot of little things that added up to it not becoming a favorite.

The hotel booked us on a 4 or 6 hour tour where we were the only two who spoke English. If it wasn't for a lovely Dutch lady who was so excited that she could practice her English it would have been a looong day! Well, it was a long day even with her. LOL

There are a lot of
Curacao lovers out there and they are entitled to their opinions as I am entitled to mine.
Apr 1st, 2003, 05:34 AM

Hi
We just returned ffrom Curacao for spring break. You will absolutely LOVE the Marriot. We travel quite a bit and it was the Most beautiful resort. The staff are incredibly nice and frendly(at the Sea Breeze BAr at the pool there are two bar tenders- Elvis and Clinton who are fun and great to chat with.
The snorkeling outside the HOtel is quite fantastic.
I would rent a car and go to some beaches that are not "family" beaches.(maps at the hotel)
This island is very scrubbby, dusty and dry. Lizards everywhere. I did not find the shopping great like everyone says. HIgh prices. low selection. The restaurant prices are high in Willemstad too(a hamburger can be $15) Of course that is my kids choice. All the restaurants have the best frozen berry/banana drink try it!
The aquarium is fun.
The Lanhuis's are great for good/original food, ie Landhuis Daniel and Landhuis Papaya.
You will LOVE the Marriott though - request an upgrade for a ocean view.
Have fun!!
Apr 1st, 2003, 04:36 PM
CF

Is that the Elvis from Anguilla?

I would avoid the Curacao
Zoo unless you want to get depressed and have your "Free
Willy" urge come on strong.....
Apr 1st, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

CF, I haven't heard any other mention of a zoo. Are you referring to the seaquariaum?
Apr 1st, 2003, 07:16 PM

CF,
I don't know where Elvis was from, but he was fun! He made us feel comfortable and called my husband the"spanish guy", because he was using his rusty college spanish al the time. :]
have fun!!
Apr 2nd, 2003, 04:37 PM
CF

Not the seaquarium, a zoo. A real dump. If the animals are lucky it isn't there anymore.

The Elvis from Anguilla was a super guy. He collected foreign money. Best bartender we ever had!
Apr 6th, 2003, 01:02 PM

We had a great time in curacao definitely try and go on a tour for snorkeling we did one on a big sail boat saw a sunken vessell the guide opened a container of bread here came the FISH in town for a nice dinner overlooking the ocean is grill king mmm there was a few in town with outside patio that was cheap and good Fort Nassua alot of people rave about we had bad experience there could be different result on good side if we didnt loose power whille waiting for food.if you do rent a car there are lots of secluded beaches in the rural part of the isle get a map while there it`ll show you all the beaches.one of our best vacations we`ve been to number of different places. Cant wait we`re planning for costa rica now3 weeks away