Four Seasons Great Exuma Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just came back from celebrating our 20th at this great place. Let me start by debunking the prior messages on this resort. The place is great and the service is very close to Four Seasons quality. There are a few of the staff who are still learning but the majority provide the service one expects from Four Seasons.
We stayed in beachfront adjoining rooms (parents in one and 2 boys in the other). We stayed on the Family Splash package which provided for breakfast and a couple of trips to outer islands). It also provided for a 50% discount on the second room. We found ourselves eating a large breakfast and skipping lunch. There were quite a few buffet dinners at the Sea Breeze restaraunt and they were quite good.

Both the activity and quiet pools were quite large and we never had to hunt for a set of chairs or cabana the entire time. The resort said they were full most of the time yet it seemed like there were few people there. My sons did make a few friends during the stay and always had somebody's children to play with.

The golf course is quite a challenge with the wind and water. Front nine is not as visually stunning as the back, but the back nine is as pretty as any 9 I've ever seen.

There is little construction on the back nine of the course (homebuilding) and it didn't intrude into the game at all.

I met the lawyer of the developer while there and spoke to him a length about the plans for the area.

The only complaint I had was that the beach service was restricted to only a small area directly off the activity pool. We were staying down the beach and could not get service in front of our room. They are building more stations and will service the full beach soon.

All in all a great trip. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
advsrbill

Thanks for your report. Here are a few questions:
1. How is the water & beach for swimming, floating, snorkeling & how deep does it get off of the beach?
2. Any info on Exuma snorkeling trips?
3. Is their any shopping worth noting on the island?
4. We'd love to see any pictures if it is not a burden. Our email is [email protected].

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

The swimming and such at the beach was great. The water is not deep until you get quite a ways off shore. There is actually a sand bar that goes diagonally from the shore out that is chest high for me (6') a couple of hundred feet off shore. There are some areas where there are seeweed sort of stuff. looked like pine needles. But it generally is in a different place each day and only about 20 feet wide. Just move over and the water is great. I have 10 and 12 year olds who both loved the kayaks.
The sand is so soft and fine that you need to work to wash it off once you leave the beach.

We didn't take any snorkling trips so can't help there. We did take the day trip to a deserted island. Make them take you out past the first few they want to drop you off on as you won't be alone for long if you don't. We spent the entire day on a small atoll that had no one but our family, an umbrella, kayak, picnic basket and chairs. It was great.

There really isn't much in the way of shopping on the island. Georgetown has a small open air area where tee shirts and trinkets can be purchased and there are a couple of shops near Club Peace& Plenty in town that are good. There is also a store walking distance from the hotel called 8 to 8. We were told to walk down the road but taking the beach to the pier and over to the road is much shorter. By the way rent a car to go to Georgetown as cabs are very expensive.

I'll send along pictures as soon as possible.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:19 AM

78Lion,

Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Is the beach water crystal clear? Is the beach water calm enough to float on the water? Does FS provide floats or not?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:30 AM

78Lion:
Thanks so much for the review. It was very helpful. My husband and I are going there in late September and I have a few questions for you:
1. How was the vegetation? I've heard that it still has quite a way to go.
2. Was there anyone on site providing scuba diving services?
3. Can the hotel arrange for a rental car should we decide to go to Georgetown on a whim?
4. Can we can stock up on food/snack items for the room (water, chips, fruit) at the "8 to 8"?

Finally, I would love to see pictures when you get them back. You can e-mail me too at [email protected]. Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Glad to help. We wern't interested in scuba so can't answer. No floats other than boogie boards were provided but they worked fine and you can float. There are tides and high is a little rougher (waves maybe broke above my knees a little). Water isn't crystal clear as the beach sand is very fine.

You can stock up at 8 to 8 as we did for our two boys (soda chips pretzels) and water though the turn town provides a couple of bottles of water nightly. They don't have much in the way of fruit. Probably have to go to the larger grocery store in Georgetown. Go on Tuesday or Friday as those are the days new shipments come in but expect everyone else to be there as well.

The palm trees all have wodden braces as they are newly planted. The rest of the vegitation around the hotel is nice, not overdone by any means.

We rented a car from the concierge the night before we went to Georgetown. They had it ready for us at 11 AM when I asked them to. Don't know how quickly they can turn one around and they go through a rental company off site. They also want you to pay the rental directly to the car rental agency. I took my Diners Club to the concierge as I expected the rental not to take it. I was right and the concierge ended up charging it to my room. Good thing as the rental company tried to stick me with a gas charge that they shouldn't. Four Seasons took care of it and I wasn't charged. Not sure if that would have happened if I gave a credit card to the rental company.

Hope I've answered them all. Glad I could help.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the report. I am going in August with my son. Do you know if the meal plan (map)is a good deal?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

We were on the Family splash that included breakfast daily + big discount on second room. For us, that was a better deal than the meal plan. Took the meal plan in Nevis and found that it wasn't such a good deal. Eat big breakfasts and early dinners worked for us just fine.