Fort Recovery or Frenchmans Cay???

Jan 7th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Jim

Fort Recovery or Frenchmans Cay???

I think we have narrowed it down to these two on Tortola where would you stay for special occasion, or other suggestions. Thanks, Jim

Jan 9th, 2002, 06:19 PM
jb

any info??

Jan 9th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Karen

Since no Tortola or BVI fans answered, I prefer Frenchman's Cay. Nice villa set ups, small, intimate and very nice hosts. I found their dining very satisfactory and their package that includes a jeep for a day is reasonable. Not a wonderful beach but you can get in the water and some snorkling but not wonderful - great views from the villas and good breezes (no a/c needed) and on Tortola there are really no great spots on the better beaches anyhow - Smugglers and Brewers. Tortola seems to attract those who love to jeep about anyway! Have read a few reviews lately that it is not as I remember it but also wonder if sometimes expectations are too high since it is a casual, modest resort as are most on Tortola.

Jan 10th, 2002, 05:19 PM
jim

Thanks Karen!

Jul 31st, 2002, 01:48 PM
Larry

We just got back from Fort Recovery and were anything but satisfied. It would have been a nicer experience if the staff were just pleasant, let alone nice. They also have a lot of hidden charges and are not very eager to put forth any effort on your behalf. If you have a choice to go somewhere else, I would. Also, Tortolla is not a clean nice island. The local people there are very rude and you'll be seeing a lot of abandoned cars and equipment laying all over the place. Good luck