Reload this Page >

Caneel Bay, Westin or Gallows Point

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Jessica

I need pros and cons all each of these places in St.john. Appreciate all the help!

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Kerrie

There are dozens upon dozens of recent, detailed opinions on each of these in the archives.<BR>Type the name of each into the text search box.<BR><BR>Then write back with more specific questions.<BR>Include some info about what you're seeking and your tastes if you want to get opinions specific to your situation.<BR>

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Harry

I just got back from Caneel Bay, and while it was lovely, i found it to be very expensive, the food was not very good, and the staff was rude and surley..

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Kurt

I have stayed at Gallows point and loved it. Beautiful, lush property with nice rooms, right on the water. Small pool, but nice and never crowded. A small rocky beach for snorkelling. Rent a car though and really see the island. There are beautiful beaches everywhere. Must warn you though, the Westin Beach is Manmade and not very nice compared to the many other beaches on island and word is that boats park and let out their bilge in the area of the Westin Beach. Have you thought about renting a villa? I have been to St. John 4 times and find that Villas can give you a pool and hot tub, kitchen, so that you can save on some meals (restaurants can be pricey on island)and much roomier accomidations for less money in the long run. Just call up google.com and put in &quot;St. John virgin island villa rental&quot; and you will find lots of websites with so many nice places that you will not know what to do.<BR>Have fun.<BR>Kurt

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 11:17 PM
Diane

In two weeks, I will be returning to Caneel for my fourth stay( My sister and her husband for their second, their daughter and her husband for their first). Needless to say, I love it! The spacious grounds are beautifully landscaped and along with its stunning seven beaches, is uncrowded and serene.<BR><BR>I have always found the food to be excellent, and I do enjoy fine dining. Also, I have always found the staff to be courteous and cordial as I am to them. Amazingly, some members even remembered me from previous visits.<BR><BR>If you enjoy gorgeous scenery, private beaches and relaxation removed from the hustle and bustle, it is an outstanding choice.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 07:04 AM
penny

Have been to Caneel for five years in a row! Love the beaches, snorkeling and St. John. Skipped it last year, but will return. Service is sporadic, yes some can be surly, some lovely. Find for the prices they charge, the service could be better! Yes the Turtle Bay House is outstanding, Equator is not great, the crowds at the beach pavillion bar make getting a table verydifficult at lunch. No relaxtion here! Corporate groups in January, a real big turn off! Rosewood could do a much better job here! In summary the pros outweigh the cons!

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Julie

These are three very different properties. <BR><BR>Caneel: Seven fabulous beaches with good snorkeling right on site. Good food on-site. All-inclusive is an option. No television in rooms. Tends to be quiet, somewhat older crowd. Don't go to Caneel to party or if a great pool is important to you. Probably fewer children than the Westin. Very expensive. If you don't plan to leave the resort, this should be your choice.<BR><BR>Westin: So-so man-made beach. No good snorkeling on-site. Very good deals are usually available if you hunt a little. Westin is known for its great beds. Nice pool. More lively crowd. Convenient to town. More of a traditional American hotel-type setting than the others. Can be a good home base for getting out to explore the island on your own. Nice grounds.<BR><BR>Gallows: Probably the most spacious accomodations, but smallest grounds. Also a good choice if you're on a budget since all units have kitchens. Beautiful views and nice setting right on the water. Not really much of a beach--more just a rocky entrance to snorkeling area. Walking distance to town and many good restaurants. Small pool. Another good home base to explore the island. If you go, choose the ocean-view units rather than the harbor-view, which can be noisy at night (music, etc. from bars in Cruz Bay really carries over the water).

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Angela

Just got back Friday night from St. John. Stayed at Gallows Point. Stayed at Caneel three years ago for honeymoon. Caneel is great for location location location, but that's about it. For the price, the rooms were average, no TV, the service wasn't that great and the food prices bordered on gouging. However the beaches and location somewhat made up for it and if you didn't want to explore the island, you would be happy there with the 7 beautiful beaches on the property. Gallows Point, in my own opinion, was much better, had a whole condo, walking distance to town, and you want to rent a jeep/car anyway to see the other incredible beaches and to explore the island, so the lack of a beach there didn't matter. The property is impeccably landscaped and kept. The condo was very clean and spacious. Didn't feel &quot;trapped&quot; at Gallows, like we did at Caneel. But, again, it's what you like and want you want to do that counts. If you stay at Gallows though, get ocean view, we stayed in the Harbor view lower and it was noisy (ferries, music, etc.) even with the windows closed and the air on (maybe it was the way the winds were blowing when we were there?)You can get some good deals on Gallows Point too, check their web page, we stayed for 7 nights and only paid for 5. <BR>Anywhere you stay, you will love St. John. It's incredible!!!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:27 AM
xxxx`

Westin typical chain hotel with small rooms overlooking manmade beach. must rent car and commute to the beautiful beaches on the island. has a pool www.travelhop.com will show the dark small rooms. beautiful property <BR>Caneel upscale luxury without the glitz with many of the rooms on great beaches and natural setting. options for dining include buffet at Caneel Terrace and 2 other restaurants on the grounds. private and more secluded with all the resort amenities but you can easily explore the island and beaches if you want to. <BR>Gallows is a condo so you can self cater if you want. Walking distance to Cruz Bay. Will need to rent vehicle to explore beaches since there is not one there other than a spit of sand from which you can snorkel. <BR>If the budget can handle Caneel definitely worth the upgrade if you want the resort amenities. If you want to do your own thing and have the option of eating in, Gallows might work but be aware that there is noise from the ferry and some units have lots of noise from town depending on the night.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 06:45 PM
may

&quot;xxx&quot;: I'd like you to explain how anything about the accommodations at Caneel Bay justifies your description of &quot;upscale luxury&quot;.<BR>(Far from being an apt description).

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:21 AM
dan

Try looking at some of those fabulous villas before you decide on a resort. We have always done resorts until we rented a villa on St. John. So glad we did, now when we return it's the only way to for us. <BR><BR>Check them out!!!