st thomas - windsurfing

Aug 18th, 2000, 12:34 PM
harry

st thomas - windsurfing

my wife and i are celebrating 5 years in st. thomas this november. we're hoping to spend some time windsurfing in 20+ knots. is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of windsurfing on st. thomas (ie. good beaches to sail, rentals and wind conditions)?

Aug 18th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Laura

Harry, your wife must be a saint to be willing to celebrate her 5 year anniversary in such windy conditions. Although I do not know you, I must take it upon myself to give you some advice- Treat her like a queen! Jewelery in St. Thomas is a great deal, so be sure to buy her something special.

PS> Wind is not so good in St. Thomas. Aruba is much windier.

Aug 18th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Terry

I agree with Laura- No woman wants to spend such a special trip in the wind. She is agreeing to the windy conditions because she loves you so much. Wake up Harry, you've got a winner! She definitely deserves jewelery for such a special occassion!

Aug 19th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Nick

If you want to windsurf then you'll need to go to Aruba which is the windsurfing capitol!

Aug 19th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Karen

If you are going in late November you may have a chance of catching the Christmas Winds that might enhance your windsurfing but that +20 knots hopefully will not happen if we are there at the same time! BlueBeard's Beach (at the end of the BlueBeard's Road past the Ritz) was a popular windsurfing beach but not sure what is happening there now with the Ritz/Marriott construction and no access since part of the road has been abandoned! The resorts do have windsurfers for rent on the beaches however! Cowpet Bay does seem to offer a good experience once you get out a ways.

Aug 19th, 2000, 01:21 PM
kiersten

I would far prefer strong winds over jewelry!!

I would go to Aruba or Bonaire. If you go to Bonaire at least you can do some amazing diving/snorkeling if you get skunked by the wind!!!

Enjoy- that is a great way to celebrate and anniv!

Jul 31st, 2002, 03:53 PM
Jean

Hi! I am a wife of an avid windsurfer. We were married in Maui...need I say more. And yes I love the beautiful jewelery my husband has given me.

On a serious note. Aruba has good windsurfing. The Marriott is right next to a great concesion. The marriott needs to work on their service and it is a battle to get a shade hut on the beach but the rooms are nice.

We are going to St. Thomas in a few days. The windsurfing concesion guy told my husband that July was thier windest month. We are staying a the ritz a 10 minute walk to the windsurfing conncesion.

Talk to John Phillips at West Indies windsurfing, St. Thomas 1-340-775-6530. He would be the one to give you the best info.

Tortola BVI is another poss. contact Jeremy [email protected]

Barbados maybe worth checking out.

Feel fre to email me after the 17th and I will give you a full report.
Jean

Jul 31st, 2002, 03:55 PM
Jean

PS I did not mean to assume your wife doesn't sail.
Jean