Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need suggestions - Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas

Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi we are taking our first cruise which leaves from San Juan, then Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas. I need some good excursion things to do or suggestions on winging it on each island because we leave next week. We caught a fast deal and book really quickly so help!! Thanks!!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:56 PM

consider a snorkel tour when you're on st. thomas. lots of boats head out from the same area you 'll be docked.
or get a ferry over to st. john for the day (40 mins from dock area) for great snorkeling from the beach. you could spend the day at caneel bay resort. they have several beaches and restaurant/bar.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:31 PM

We went on a jeep tour in Aruba with ABC Tours. It was really fun, but definitely bumpy - not sure how active you are looking for.

Also, check out cruisecritic.com - it is all geared towards cruising and they have suggestions for each island.

Have fun!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:47 PM

When in St Martin, you HAVE to go to Pinel Island. I realize that after getting off a cruise ship, the last thing you want to do is jump on another boat-but the ride is $5 (give or take) round trip and VERY short. Pinel has very calm, shallow and clear waters. You feel like you're on your own deserted island-a total contrast to Orient Beach. It's very beautiful! Enjoy!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM

When in St Martin, you HAVE to go to Pinel Island. I realize that after getting off a cruise ship, the last thing you want to do is jump on another boat-but the ride is $5 (give or take) round trip and VERY short. Pinel has very calm, shallow and clear waters. You feel like you're on your own deserted island-a total contrast to Orient Beach. It's very beautiful! After cruising I think you'll appreciate the total laid back beach vibe from Pinel.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 05:44 AM

Pinel is beautiful and definitely worth a trip. Unfortunately when cruise ships are in, Pinel is super crowded.
another nice thing to do on St. Maarten is the America's Cup boat races..no sailing experience necessary.
it's a lot of fun.

http://www.12metre.com/