Search

For the Jamaica bashers...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the Jamaica bashers...

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.co...me?id=11949600

Another reason while I feel as safe in Negril as just about anywhere in the Caribbean. You would think that the authorities would be able to pinpoint the perpetrators on such a small island. Just another reminder that no matter how idyllic a place can appear, there are still problems.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:13 AM

I felt safer on Jamaica than I did on St John.

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident on this particular island. Hopefully, these people will be caught and dealt with harshly.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM

CS - not to disagree , but this type of thing happens everywhere, almost every island, every country, etc. I think someone would be very naive to think this could not happen on St John.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

I realize that....unfortunately many do not. If I had a dollar for everytime I have read a post regarding Jamaica and its safety issues being a deterrent in traveling there, I'd be a richer man. My point is that, as popular as STJ is (and I LOVE it there), the island is not as immune as many perceive it to be.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 02:57 PM

CS - you are right. I have heard some recent reports of villas being broken into in the middle of the night in St John recently. Scary to have someone standing in your bedroom in the middle of the night! YIKES!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Brett,
Yeah...I told my husband (who felt safe in St John) that bad things can happen anywhere.I told him not to listen to the Jamaica bashers and give it a try.I hope that he will oneday..I really want to go to Negril.

Christie
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Even I would never claim St. John is without such incidents. But overall, I think it's important to note that where there are people there is crime. Unfortunately, Coral Bay has seen some particularly bad incidents over the past year prompting the new police station but even that has experienced some "birth pains" and doesn't the criminal element know it. Finally, after this most recent incident, the police are staffing 24 hours. I'm headed there in a few days for 3 weeks. You can bet I'm going to get to know my local law enforcement. I live in an urban environment so it is disappointing to feel like I can't seem to leave it "all" behind. But for the average tourist, it's still pretty safe. I agree with CaribbeanSoul, I can acknowledge the existence of problems and still love the place without reservation. I don't know what happened to Diana to make her feel less safe on St. John than in Jamaica or anywhere else for that matter. But then I'm a city girl and St. John is a piece of cake.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:17 PM

All,
This is not what I was hoping to read about STJ – we will be there in Feb…first time. And you are saying this is not an isolated incident? We will stay in Coral Bay….was that a bad decision?
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Tuxedocat,

Nothing really "happened" to us when we were on St John, but we noticed an undercurrent of tension due to the US Trustafarians taking most of the jobs that islanders would traditionally hold, and a stampede of non-locals driving up the prices of real estate by buying up any and all available property thereby making land ownership an impossibility for locals.

This observation came after spending a lot of time talking to inhabitants of the USVI's of West Indian descent who are unhappy with the "staus quo."

Frankly, I don't blame them, and I did not find St John to have the same atmosphere of genial and welcoming local people with a vibrant and traditional West Indian culture that many of the other islands offer.

St John, while lovely, reminds me too much of SC or FL transported to the Caribbean, and the inequities there will preclude a return visit.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

The bottom line is that is a great island with awesome beaches and enough charm to be a movie location. The fact that it is a US territory makes it easier for us Americans to buy property (had I the foresight and dinero back in the 90's!). It is also a very small island with 2/3rds a Natl Park with building restrictions. My OP was more a reminder to all that things happen everywhere. I have a chip on my shoulder about the negativity Jamaica receives and STJ is the island of choice for many. So, more or less, just a post to put things back into perspective and not to scare anyone from STJ. We'll definitely return to STJ and all of the USVI and BVI! As a former resident and fanatic, it is one of the most beautiful places on this earth.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM

My first seven visits to the Caribbean were to Jamaica (3 to Negril). Then I discovered the rest of the Caribbean. I won't be back to Jamaica.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

jillberto: I apologize in advance, but I missed your point. If one travels to a place once, then travels there, not once but twice again....obviously there was a "draw". The fact that you have found other places in the Caribbean to travel that you enjoy more is awesome! Your post just doesn't make a lot of sense in this thread without substaniating your comment with further detail.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Tuxedocat: Ironic, isn't it, that we were just talking about Coral Bay break-ins a few months ago. Having lived on St. John ,and of course in Jamaica, I found the 'vulnerability vibe' and the undercurrent of race-based antagonism was always very strong on St.John -- tho most tourists never see it, for all the island's snorkelling and beautiful vistas. The feeling's even stronger on St.Croix. In some 30 odd years, I think I've been called 'whitey' once in Jamaica and for all the island's reputation of black-on-black crime, I don't feel like 'fair game'.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:39 PM

christiegr, please share with your husband that Negril is wonderful. I can't compare it to any other Carribbean destinations because it was my first but I'm going back in April. True, If you could minimize some of the beach vendors, it would be better, but it's still wonderful in my book. My wife still prefers Maui and I enjoy Maui also, but for the money, ease getting there, the people, the warm Caribbean, I think Negril is a better value.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Been to Jamaica many times and out of all the islands we have been to this by far is our favorite... The people are super and make you feel very welcome!!!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 03:28 AM

dantheman,
Thanks for your comments. I will continue to talk my husband into Negril.He wants to go somewhere soon and I agree that it is a better value than alot of other Caribbean destinations.

Diana,
I agree with you on what you noticed in St John.We talked with locals also and felt the tensions and I can understand their tensions.But I still love St John for it's beauty and the nice people that were natives that we spook with..so we will return.

Christie