Search

Flying with Provisions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying with Provisions

With a villa rental, and only a week, I am thinking of doing one checked bag to include bathrobes for the pool area, lotions and potions and bug spray. We are used to traveling and buying on island in Hawaii but it seems more realistic to bring these things for just a week.

I'm wondering about bringing some frozen provisions and pantry items to take advantage of the villa's grill. Thinking of marinating and freezing lamb chops and a couple of steaks, some rice, some soy, some olive oil to leave behind. Toss in a bottle of vodka and some wine. Has anyone travelled with checked perishables? I realize that the local grocer iGA is well stocked, but like the idea of arriving with a couple of sunset meals and only the need to shop for produce. This weeks circular at IGA features chicken legs and talapia - neither enticing. A week of conch will get old.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:18 PM

People travel with perishables in both checked & carry-on all the time. It's best to pack the perishables in a cooler or insulated bag and not in your regular luggage. Make sure you can "seal" the cooler/insulated bag so it doesn't open accidentally during travel.

If doing a carry-on cooler it must conform to the carry-on size restrictions imposed by your airline and you cannot pack any frozen items (such as ice cubes, frozen soups, "blu-ice packs", etc.) that is a liquid or gel in it's normal unfrozen state as these won't pass TSA inspection.

Also, most airlines have restrictions against using dry ice in carry-on coolers and limitations on the amount of dry ice you can have in checked luggage. Refer to your airline's baggage policy for allowed amounts. You can use frozen blu-ice packs in checked luggage. Or, use a product called Techni-ice instead in both carry-on and checked luggage.

For what it is worth, if you have a good quality cooler or insulated bag that is packed "full" well frozen meats will stay frozen for about 24 hours without any added "ice packs".

For checked luggage review your airline's baggage policy so you can avoid any excess baggage or excess weight fees otherwise any savings you might have by bringing your own food will be wiped out by the excess baggage/weight fees.

Lastly, I'd leave the vodka at home, you can usually buy it for less in the islands. Use the space for more "food".
Old Oct 15th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you soooo much for your detailed response!
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 06:04 AM

RoamsAround, once again to the rescue.

Even though the question this time is not for me, I want to say a big thank you for all the time you spend answering posters' questions about the islands.

The Caribbean Forum is lucky to have your wealth of experience and information available. You are always polite and precise.
Thank you.
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 06:32 AM

Thank you for the kind words, Sassafrass!
Old Oct 16th, 2015, 06:39 AM

Specific to TCI:

meats must be in original packages sealed

no fruits or veggies (unless frozen and original seal)

IGA actually has quite affordable prepared yummy foods, from ribs, to rotissorie chicken, etc

Thursday Fish Fry is amazing with food vendors and extra yummy (and cheap)

Tiki Hut has $14 ribs on Wednesdays

1 bottle per person of alcohol, wine is expensive, liqour much more affordable

Must check in bag

Keep in mind airlines charge for checked bags, and you must declare. Allowed $50 worth of goods per person, but most times they wave you through

You'll have a car (all villas you need one anyway) so you can actually go to cheaper places to eat, such as locals, Bugaloo's, Da Conch Shack, Flamingos

It's actually easier than it sounds