Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

first time in Jamaica - staying at the Ritz Montego Bay

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi - I am going on my first Jamaican trip with my wife - it is a work related awards trip so although it is for pleasure, we will be accompanied by about 100 other work colleagues and their guests. was hoping to get some tips and some questions answered about nightlife from fellow jamaican travelers! here we go:

I keep hearing the same theme about Jamaica - stay at the resorts at night! Is this true? I was hoping to get away from the hotel and go out to restaurants / bars / clubs, etc. Is there no chance of this? I assumed there would be touristy type strips of places like this to go but I could be wrong! I totally don't know Jamaica and don't know how the area around the Ritz is but if anyone has any reccomendations it would be appreciated! like I said, looking for any fun places that we shouldn't miss. We are in our upper 20's and don't mind doing some partying! And if everyone tells me to just stick around the Ritz, we will! thanks
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 10:33 PM

The Ritz is a 15-20 min taxiride out of
town and outside private clubs and more louche places , most tourists head for the 'hip strip' on
Gloucestershire Ave/opposite Doctor's Cave beach and Marguerittaville, a
Jimmy Buffeteseque/Carlos & Charlie's young party scene. Would recommend
you dine out first, maybe at The Houseboat Grille in the cruiseship
area past Bogue or Tapas on Bogue Hill
or The Native or Margueritte's downtown beforehand. Hire a private guide/ driver for the night rather than just a taximan here and there. If you just stay at the resort, you'll just see other colleagues/tourists -- not
Jamaica -- and you're young enough
to be adventuresome. Go for it.
Old Mar 11th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Mikieguns, Do you work for an Insurance Company in NY? I have a friend is all excited about his trip (atleast the golf part) next week - scew him I say
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

no I don't
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:26 AM

There's not much around the Ritz, and the Ritz, while nice, is not very exciting at night (other than you can have a nice dinner). I suggest you follow Tivertonhouse's advice. Definitey get out of the Ritz and see Jamaica.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM

I agree with the others, get outta the Ritz, so you can "see Jamaia". I also recommend the "Native" restaurant in Mobay. Or the "Pork Pit" for great jerk pork or chicken, which is right on Gloucester Avenue (also know as the "hip strip"). Margaritaville is fun- it has a slide right into the ocean. The best shopping is in the shops across from the Holiday Inn. Have fun! Jamaica is my favorite island!