Search

Marriott Frenchmens vs Ritz

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott Frenchmens vs Ritz

Using points for trip in March- which is preferred with respect to:
1-quality of hotel (I realize its not as Ritzy as other Ritz's having been there several years ago)
2-Location/proximity to other on or off island activities (day trips, restaurants)
3-Location or in facility evening activites.
4-Value for price
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 10:43 AM

The quality of the Ritz is superior to that of the Reef. That being said, The Reef offers superior views and is of closer proximity to shopping and more restaurants.

Both offer day trips from the hotel. I felt that the Ritz trips had less people and were more personal.

Last November,I was disatisfied with my accomodations at The Reef (actually Morningstar), however, next month I will use points to return to The Reef for a one night stay, primarily to have dinner at Havanna Blue, (located at Morningstar), one of the best restaurants on the island.

Much would depend on the length of your stay and how much you plan to do off resort. Because of the greater distance, taxi fares /from the Ritz are more costly, but the on site experience is more pleasureable.

If I planned to leave the resort only occasionally,and were staying longer, I would choose the Ritz.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:03 PM

#7, i think for excursions either hotel is fine. reef is much closer to charlotte amalie shopping. ritz is by red hook for catching ferry to st. john for the day. also close to coki world, secret harbour for snorkeling and blue moon cafe. great restaurants are all over the island though.
cost aside i would choose the ritz.
diane. havana blue is out of this world. prepare for visual and culinary delight!! for a preview go to www.sts.onepaper.com scroll down on the left to visitors center and dining out. then down that page until you see havana blue. great article and MENU to drool over.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Thanks Virgina, It was fun reading about HB. It reinforced my decison of putting up with the airport/taxi hassle for one night before continuning to St. John,
Diane
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I would call quickly to see what's available - the Ritz is very hard to book using points!! Good luck!! If you have a choice the Ritz is the best!