Search

FERRY TO TORTOLA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FERRY TO TORTOLA

We will be arriving in St. Thomas at about 3:15 pm on March 14th - will we be able to get on a ferry right away? I am unsure what to do once we get to St. Thomas - do we catch a cab to a ferry dock? Do we need to reserve a ticket for the ferry? Would appreciate some advice. Thanks
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:20 PM

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/in...o%20West%20End

Here is the link to the ferry schedules. You need to figure out if you are going to Road Town Tortola or West End. Where are you staying? I'm thinking most likely you will go to West End. There are 4:15 and 4:30 ferrys which you should be able to make unless you have flight delays. You need to take a taxi to the Charlotte Amalie waterfront. The place where the ferry leaves for the BVI's is NOT the same as the one for the ferry to St John. The BVI ferry has a terminal. The ferry to St John from Charlotte Amalie does not. You do not need to reserve tickets in advance. We have made it to the ferry with just a few minutes to spare and made it on. Not that I recommend that .
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Forgot to mention, after you get your bags (if you are checking), make your way to the taxi dispatch area and let them know what you want. They will take care of you. It sounds complicated, but really very simple. There will be an exit just past the baggage claim area and the taxi dispatch area is on the left of the exit.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM

hi micah, my reading of the schedule indicates that the latest ferry goes at 5:45 from redhook on saturdays.
as such you'll need to get a taxi from the airport to red hook.
this is the company:
Caribbean Maritime & Excursions Road Town Fast Ferry
Rates: Adults/$30 one-way, $50 roundtrip. Children 2-11/$20 one-way, $30 roundtrip. Children 1 and under/$5 one-way, $10 roundtrip. Telephone: (866) 903-3779, (340) 777-2800
Time: 50 minutes between Charlotte Amalie and Road Town, 35 minutes between Redhook and Road Town.
assuming 45 mins to get out of the airport and an hour drive to red hook you'll be there in red hook around 5:00.

speedy's has service from charlotte amalie at 4:30 which you Might be able to make.
here's the full schedule: http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/in...o%20West%20End
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Contact Marjorie at Smith's ferry.. www.smithsferry.com...tell her when and what flight you are arriving on. She will have a taxi waiting for you and will hold the ferry for you (for a reasonable amt of time). We flew in at 3:30 and made the 4:30 ferry...we even had checked luggage. You prepay for the taxi and the ferry and she emails you vouchers. It all went very smoothly. She is a very nice, accomodating lady.

You don't want to go all the way to Red Hook to catch the ferry, especially in late afternoon traffic...It is about a 10 or 15 minute drive to the Charlotte Amalie ferry terminal from the airport.
Old Feb 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Just got back from a sailing charter starting out in Tortola. The Fast Ferry takes you directly to Road Town. A usually short ride, my son's ferry broke down and it took three hours to get in.
Ferries in general are not very impresive, but they get you there. Ferries charge by the person and by the bag as due the taxis so expect to pay more then you think. A ton of taxis at the ferry dock.